Nitrites and Invertabrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JRagg

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do high nitrites affect invertebrates? My nitrites are VERY high right now (fishless cycle), but I still see some snails occasionally. Is it just snails or all invertabrates that are ok with nitrites, or is it a stroke of luck that the snails are even alive?

I was wondering if a few ghost shrimp would survive or be harmed by the Nitrite bath. I’m pretty sure the answer is no, but I was wondering if anyone had experience with this.

I don't know either way....But I would not add anthing until cycled if an unknowing opinion matters.

And my kitten just attacked your bouncing meatball thing....she was quite sure she could catch it I would guess,based soley on her velocity when she hit the moniter lol.

The snails will be affected also - I'd take them out during the cycle. I'll bet they're all slammed up in their shells, right ?

Well I didn't put the snails in there. They are all hitchikers and of the plant destroying breed (nothing like your giant apple snail). I guess maybe the nitrites are why I haven't seen more of them.

And nope, the few that I've seen (couple ramshorn and a couple pond snails) have been out cleaning and eating my plants. I "remove" them as I see them anyways.

That's funny about your kitten, I'll have to let my fiance know about that one. She'll be entertained. The bouncing meatball is a character called "Meatwad" from Aqua Teen Hunger Force. He's dancing. He likes to dance.

Thanks for the help.

Perhaps those pond snails can take more pollution than an apple snail. I know my snails slam the door shut when nitrates reach about 20 - who needs test kits LOL (kidding - we all need test kits but the snails are a good early warning system).
I"m not sure about shrimp - the only shrimp I've ever had in my tank was the one I used to cycle the tank with (and he was from the grocery store LOL)

I was talking about nitrites not nitrates. But you're probably right on the pollution part. I won't put anything in until it's cycled, but it sure is trying my patience. I've been going for 3 1/2 weeks so far and it looks like nitrites are finally starting to come down some (even though they still max out my test kit, the test kit doesn't go "full purple" quite as fast) I've actually dosed some nitrates so that my plants will do a little better. They look terrible right now. The AP test kit was saying I had 5-10 nitrates, but I honestly think I was pretty much bottomed out. That kit is junk.

You could have 5 - 10 nitrates just from your tap water, but you're right - it probably wouldn't be high enough for the plants.
Believe me, I KNOW how fishless cycling can really try a persons patience - I finally surrendered about 3 1/2 weeks in and used Bio-Spira .... I simply could NOT take it anymore ! Thankfully I got a good batch of Bio-Spira and it worked.
Hang in there - if your nitrites are starting to go down then you're only a few more days away. You might want to do a PWC to bring the nitrite level down a bit if you're topping out. It will help finish the cycle a little faster.

I started looking for Bio-Spira locally about a week ago, but have been unable to find any. There is a real lack of good stores in the area, and since I'm so close to finishing I'm not going to pay to have it shipped.

I really shouldnt do a PWC. I had back surgery two weeks ago and I'm not supposed to be lifting anything over 10 pounds for another week or so (just a 10 gallon tank, so no python). It should be done by then anyways.

Back
Top Bottom