Nitrites High, nitrates low???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hbbambislayer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm a week and half into fishless cycle, ammo from 4ppm to basically 0 in lime 8 hours so that's working nitrites though are way off chart and my nitrates are either 10 or 20ppm, I did a 50% water change yesterday to try and knock the nitrites down to get a reading on them tested today still over the 5ppm and nitrates still same is this a normal part of the cycle and just waiting for more BB to establish or is something wrong?

A few questions to see where you are at. Is your ph staying stable? Did you start with cycled media/bottle bacteria products? Are you only dosing ammonia once every 24hrs or more frequently? Have you tested your tap for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Thanks

To the first responder Ty I actually rea yours today seemed like we were in the same boat. For the second responder, no bottled type starter stuff just using Aces ammo, dosing 1 time per day up to 4ppm I just check it often, my ph stays around 7.6-7.8, tap water is 0ppm on all tests and ph is 7.2. It's a 55 gallon tank 15 live plants some vals, ferns, 2 swords, and anubias, my temperature is at 82, I'm running 2 fluval 306 filters no carbon in them each one is set up with bottom basket biofoam, mid is all biomax, top is 1 side biomax 1 side purigen, I'm also running 2 small airstones.

To the first responder Ty I actually rea yours today seemed like we were in the same boat. For the second responder, no bottled type starter stuff just using Aces ammo, dosing 1 time per day up to 4ppm I just check it often, my ph stays around 7.6-7.8, tap water is 0ppm on all tests and ph is 7.2. It's a 55 gallon tank 15 live plants some vals, ferns, 2 swords, and anubias, my temperature is at 82, I'm running 2 fluval 306 filters no carbon in them each one is set up with bottom basket biofoam, mid is all biomax, top is 1 side biomax 1 side purigen, I'm also running 2 small airstones.

Question, why two 306's instead of one 406? I ask because I am curious, and I am running one 406, thought it would provide ample enough filtration.

Wanted the extra filtration, mostly as a backup plan though if one went bad or had problems, I have 2 heaters also for same reason each one is mounted horizontal under each return

image-1380445715.jpg

I was going to do 2 406s but that seemed way to much, I knew I was going to do 2 filters no matter what wanted lots of flow and filtration and a backup as well I'm sure 1 would be more than suffixent especially the 406 but I'm a overkill kinda guy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom