Nitrites...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a QT tank that I set up 2 weeks ago and seeded it with my main tank water as well as 2 spounges from my sump that were about 6 months old. I tested mt water last night and the ammonia card I have in there shows no ammonia. Its a 30 gallon. I have 2 HOB filters with the drop in filters in them. I only have 4 small fish - clown, damsel, 2 inch regal tang, and dottieback. My PH is 8.0 and Im syphoning each day some of the water out of the tank as I feed them every other day but put a clip of nori in for the regal each day. I have done 1 water change per say about a week ago. My nitrites show to be .1-.2...what can I do to knock this out? What level of nitrites should I worry about? I dont show any ammonia so how is it I have nitrites showing up? Also my nitrates show less than 10..

Is it possible that your nitrite test kit is expired? You should have 0 amm and 0 nitrite, however, amm is the worst and nitrite is slightly less toxic. If that was a point 1 to point 2, and your fish are not showing distress, I would go ahead and do another water change right away. If you've never used it, you could try using a conditioner called Prime. It says" romoves chlorine, chloramine,ammonia, and detoxifies nitrite & nitrate, and provides a slime coat without overactivating protein skimmers". I use it for all water changes and anytime my tests look kinda messed up.

Well this is a new test kit...and new ammonia card as well...yes I have some Prime that I did use in my main, but like you said it messes with the skimmer. I will dig it up and use it since this is my QT tank. I just think something is wrong. All of the fish are acting ok...I fed them last night and tested after that which might have been the wrong way to do it...But then I tested this morning and it was around .1 to .2 Last night it was .5 at least....I think something is wrong. i shouldnt be having any ammonia for sure and NO nitrites. I have the 2 spounges that seeded the water as well as the main tank water...its weird.

Your tank is still going to go through a small cycle even if you used the main tank water and sponges. Most of the beneficial bacteria in a tank are in the substrate, rocks, and on the glass. You only brought a very small amount of bacteria to the tank but quite a few fish, relatively. Also you should test your tank at the same time every time. The ph changes throughout the day and night so you will almost always get a diff reading from morning to night. The ph will be lower in the morning so it will affect your other test readings as well.

Back
Top Bottom