Nitrofuracin Green for QT tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

threnjen

Aquarium Advice Addict
So in light of some recent issues in my main tank, I think I'm going to get smart and start using a QT for new arrivals.

I've heard a bit about using Nitrofuracin Green as a "general remedy" in the QT with all new arrivals. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any recommendations for/against?

Apparently that particular medication is an antibiotic, so I would think it's not a good idea to use if you are not targeting a particular bacterial infection. I'm guessing it will kill your beneficial bacteria, and possibly create medication-resistant strains of bad bacteria?

But I'm curious to know whether there is a treatment that would work for this kind of "just in case" dosing.

Seachem paraguard, maybe?

Hmm are you sure? The place I was looking at, National Fish Pharmaceuticals, recommends this as a QT med.

"Anti- microbial, anti- protozoan, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal. Wide spectrum. Good for newly arrived fish in quarantine situations. Also good for healing wounds and ammonia burn on newly arriving fish. Widely used for shipping or packing water. Works well for sores on fish in Koi ponds."

They also, on the same site, don't condone "preventative antibiotics" - "

Antibiotics may not be used as preventatives, or as a "dip". You can create problems doing this."

So they don't seem to support the idea of antibiotics used without reason (as well they shouldn't, antibiotics should never be used carelessly)

I need to look up the specific compounds in this med

I see you're right, I found this more specific writeup:

• Nitrofuracin Green is a combination of Nitrofurazone, Furazolidone, a trace of Methelyne Blue, and sodium. It treats gram negative and positive bacterial infections, all external parasites, protozoans, some sporozoa, fungi, secondary infections, and is an antiviral. It is a fantastic healer for wounds, heater burn, physical damage, and especially ammonia burn. It also raises the dissolved oxygen level with the small amount of Meth Blue which is added.
  • This is the best medication on the market for proactively treating new arrivals while in quarantine. Many recently transpoted fish have heater burn, ammonia burn, bacteria, or parasites. In the event of ammonia burn or parasites, these affect the gills which make it harder for the fish to breath. The Nitrofuracin Green increases your dissolved oxygen level and kills any disease they may have which allows your fish to breath easier while it is healing. This medication puts minimal strain on fish and cures almost every ailment recently transported fish are subjected to.
  • Nitrofuracin Green is safe for almost all fish
  • Nitrofuracin Green will damage at least some of the biological filter

Well, that's worth knowing :)
But your original question still stands. Is there another medication that could be used in this way?

Back
Top Bottom