Nitrogen Cycle help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MalawiMadness

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi to everyone in this nice forum.
I have some questions regarding nitrogen cycle on a new tank.
Basic tank info is as follows: 75 gal, duel emperor 400, 280 power filters, 300 watt heater. I'm cycling an mbuna tank,(10-1.5" fish), day 17 of cycle,(added 7 fish on day two of tank setup, and 3 more fish on day 14 of cycle), 1.0 ppm ammonia level,(not sure as to nitrite and nitrate levels as I need to purchase a kit for that test), 8.1 Ph. level,(not sure as to water hardness, I have well water, and Ph runs 7.8 out of the tap. I added tank salt, and crushed coral during tank setup to buffer Ph levels), 80 degree tank temp. At what point in time should I be concerned with ammonia levels and should I expect higher levels before this cycle ends? Should I start regular water changes at this point in time? I feed my fish only small amounts of flake food twice a day for 1-2 minutes at each feeding. Fishy's seem to be ok, no rapid breathing, clamped fins or hanging around the top of the tank, other than when I feed them. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you

if i were you id add about a 1/4 cup of pure ammonia in the tank if you dont have fish in there

and wait about 2-3 weeks and do some ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates testing and it should be really good!! so thats what i'd do but personally im goin with live plants cause they cause you not to have cycling so you dont have to wait for cycles but with plants wait about 1 week and see how the testing is you should have the right amount of nitrites/nitrates for it so do whatever choice you want

yay for live plants!! reasons why i like the live plants
1. fish can hide in them and make them comfortable
2. they take the CO2 and make it pure oxygen
3. the fish can eat it
4. THERE ARE no MORE CYCLES FOR NITRATES!!

It's most important to mention that you want NO ammonia at all in your tank. None. Nunca. Nada.

ANY at all is detrimental to your fishes health. It can burn gills and host many a other problems.

I would do some daily partial water changes definitley.

Day 17 of your tank and you already have 10 fish....that is way too many way to fast. You are going to need to do some daily water testing, because those levels are sure to rise.

Also, cut back to one a day feedings, IMO. This will help a little to cut out some of that ammonia that is going to build up in your tank. Keep a check on things, but especially that ammonia and nitrite.
3. the fish can eat it

Not all fish eat live plants, but a few do.

4. THERE ARE no MORE CYCLES FOR NITRATES!!

I don't think is exactly true. You will still have nitrates. They may not be as plentiful, but they will still be there if you don't keep up on water changes, etc.

Good luck! :wink:

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!! :mrgreen:

You are just down the road from me, and I'm glad to see you here.

You will need to do some water changes to keep that ammonia a bit lower for the sake of the fish, but they will probably start to show signs of stress when your nitrite gets up there. Definitely get a nitrite test to go with your ammonia, at the least. Nitrate is good to have on hand but not a must at this point. I'll wager you have hard, alkaline water, having tested my best friend's water in Quinton, so that'll be great for your Africans.

Adding aquarium salt (1 tbsp/gal) will help the fish with the high nitrite, assuming you are getting to that point.

idk im new so what i said is from all my understanding

Howdy neighbor

Hi,

Thank you for the warm welcome. I often visit Richmond to shop. Nice to have a fishy friend to chat with, lol. I'm way over my head with these Mbunas, hehe. Fasinating fish, eh? My ammonia dropped some today and is holding at .50ppm. I've cut back to one a day feedings. Darn little fishy's always greet me at the tank looking for a hand out. I purchased a python siphon rig and will do a partial water change this evening.

Thank you,
Larry

Ps,
Can you recommend a good cichlid shop in the greater Richmond area?
:p

[center:a9e0339c7e] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, MalawiMadness!! :n00b: [/center:a9e0339c7e]

Another Mbuna keeper!! Which ones do you have?

Go to Azalea Aquariums near the Fairgrounds, east end of town. You could also check Noah's Pets on Midlothian if you are ever out that way - they have nice fish also.

Back
Top Bottom