No idea what to do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CJonline

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know this will be really long but please read… I need help.

I have a 60 gal tank that I have had a lot of problems with lately, I’m hoping someone can help me. The tank has been cycled for about 5 months now. I do a water change every 5 days about 20 or 25% at a time. I test the water every other day, always get the same thing… 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, 6.8 ph and I keep the tank at about 80. The test kit is new and the expiration date on all the bottles is 06/2014 and I always really shake the nitrate bottles I know that is an issue (during the cycle I had a nitrates at about 20 but it went down and never came back). It has been heavily stocked with live plants since the beginning. I have a OTB filter that would be for a 75 gal tank and a canister filter that is for a 120 gal.

After it cycled I slowly got stocked it with 2 angels, 5 red line barbs, 4 pictus catfish, and 3 congo tetras.

About a month ago one of my pictus catfish was acting funny. I noticed he was swimming in circles towards the bottom of the tank but he looked fine otherwise so I went to bed. I got up the next morning and he looked like he was shedding skin, breathing hard and his barbs were gone. I set up the hospital tank and pulled him. I didn’t treat him because I had no idea what he had and I needed to talk to someone. He died before I got back with meds. Everyone else in the tank looked fine, but I did a 50% water change and kept a close eye on the fish. 3 days later another pictus started the swimming thing, I pulled all the pictus and put them in the small tank treated with Pima and Melafix. The pictus slowly died one right after another before the treatment was done. After the second pictus dies the red line barbs started showing patches of white on their fins and tail with large white areas on their bodies. I put the Pima and Melafix in the 60 gal too and treated the full 7 days even though I lost all the barbs and pictus. The tetras started showing the same things I did a large water change and put in General Cure, I lost all my tetras and one angel. It has now been 2 weeks since the first fish died.

The remaining angel showed no sickness so I put him in with my upside down catfish in the 30 gal and cleaned the 60. I drained all water cleaned and siphoned the gravel, cleaned the filters, filled it back up, let it run for a day and then I put in 6 danios. Everything seemed fine so a week later I put in my sons betta and three neons. Everything was fine for a couple of days. Then the danios and neons started showing the same white patches on their bodies and fins and the last one died this morning. The betta is the only thing in there and he seems fine, for now.

The Angel that was put in the 30 is great. Never got sick.

Now my questions are: Any idea what happened? What I can do? Should I bleach the tank out and cycle the tank again? What do I do with all the live plants?

How did you originally "cycle" this tank?
What is your current toxin levels?

I tested this morning... 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, 6.8 ph.

It was cycled fish in. I used 12 'feeder' guppies (a friend breeds guppies for his turtle) and daily testing and water changes until things leveled out. Took about 6 weeks. I let things be for another 2 weeks before I gave all the guppies back to my friend and put in 3 red line barbs and 1 very small pictus catfish. I slowly added fish and tested to make sure everything remained stable. Nothing went wrong, I didn't loose any fish until this started. Now they are all dead - except the angel I moved to a different tank, he never got sick.

I am very sorry you had such a drastic fish loss :( Did you sterilize everything when you cleaned the 60? It honestly sounds like columnaris. Just draining & refilling the tank would not have been sufficent to kill it. Nor is mela/pimafix or Gen Cure (which is anti-parasitic med). Its a gram negative bacterial infection that can kill before a fish even has symptoms or it can fester for weeks (or longer) depending on the strain. Heres some more info on it:

Columnaris (Flexibacteria); Aquarium, Pond Treatment, Prevention; Fungus, Saprolegnia

i'm confused. a cycled tank should show some nitrates. are you sure your nitrates are 0? you might want to see if your local fish store tests with liquid and get them to test the water also.

i'm confused. a cycled tank should show some nitrates. are you sure your nitrates are 0? you might want to see if your local fish store tests with liquid and get them to test the water also.

Pretty normal for a heavily planted tank. The plants utilize any available nitrates.

Mine always read zero too...+1 on the columnaris. Im sorry as well for your loss:( I would drain and bleach the heck out of that thing...keep us posted:(

Ok, since all the fish are gone. I will bleach the tank. I'm going to just replace the gravel but I will bleach all the items in the tank and the filters too. Is there a way to save all the plants? I hate to trash them, I have so many but I don't want to get this back again.

I never bleached a tank before. Is there a special way to do it or just break it down and clean it out with bleach water, let it dry then put it back together?

In the future what would I do to cure what happened? No one local knew what to tell me other than it was fin and tail rot and use gen cure. It's been about a month, do I need to still worry about the angel getting this?

Your angel is isolated, correct? Keep a very close eye on him for anything amiss- even slightly & be prepared to treat immediately if necessary. I honestly would keep him isolated for as long as is feasible for you (atleast 4wks). The best treatment without a vets help would be a combo of kanamycin sulfate, a furan product and aq salt.

For disinfection, a part regular bleach to 9 parts water solution, soak minimum 15-20mins, rinse well with hot water. I follow with 15-20min soak in heavily dechlorinated water to make sure any residue is neutralized. Air dry, in the sun if possible.

For your plants, heftier plants can usually handle a bleach dip (1 part bleach to 19 parts water). Fine stemmed ones don't do quite as well. Potassium permanganate dips work equally as well & are not as hard on fine stemmed/delicate plants. I hope this helps! Good luck!!

My angel is in with my upside down cats in a heavy planted 30 gal tank, he has been for 2 weeks. I can leave him there forever but I did get the 60 for the angels so I would like to move him back if possible. By the time I clean, set up, and cycle again it will be at least 2 more months and I won't put him in first so its more like that he will be in the 30 for at least 4 months before moving him over to the 60. How long before he would show signs that he has something?

Thanks for all the help. I will try the dip on the plants and hope they live too.

Thats fine! I only recommended keeping him qt for atleast 4wks simply because its much easier to treat in a smaller tank than a large one. Hopefully, he will never have symptoms & come through this unscathed! Good luck!! :)

Took this weekend and cleaned the 60 out. Saturday I bleached everything and let it dry in the sun all day. Sunday I set it back up. The tank is slightly cloudy but I think that is from the new gravel I put in. I also set it up with live plants. I will give it a couple days and then put in some feeder guppies that I can get from a friend.

On Saturday, I did a water change on the 30 with my angel. I took some of the fake decorations out to give the angel more swimming room. His fins were getting frayed on this fake log and he was going to be in this tank for a while. Upon taking it out I noticed some dark gray compacted debris start floating around the tank, I think it came out of this log. I tried to siphon all of it out but it was everywhere and the water was really low – I’m sure I missed some. No one looked sick but I did another 75% water change the next morning (Sunday), just in case. I kept an eye on the angle all day and he seemed fine, ate like a champ and was swimming everywhere. I woke this morning and he was dead. He looked like all the other fish in the 60, but I don’t know if that was because he was dead for a couple hours or he got the same thing as the other tank and died really quick.

I have been thinking and thinking, I believe that something like that happened in the 60 before everyone started getting sick. This fake log moved from one tank to the other before stuff started happening. I don’t know what that gray stuff was/is. Any ideas?

Should I break down the tank and bleach it out too? I’m so close to just giving up and taking down everything. Does anyone have any ideas?

I am so sorry about your angel :( He was likely already infected but somehow managed to fight it off until now. I think the debris from the log may have just been a coincidence but I am concerned that your cats have now been exposed to the disease as well. Where you want to from this point will be up to you.You can proactively treat their tank & hope for the best. Disease can be devastating but I dont think you should give up hope!!!!

What should I treat with? They both look and act fine, but then so did my angel.

I'm going to try one more time with my 60 but if I go through something like this any time soon I'm sure i will just pack it all away for a while. Its hard to loose all these fish one right after another.

Thanks for all the help.

Sounds like a fungus or columaris to me.
Columnaris Disease Education from FishVet, Inc.

Fungus does not kill overnight and healthy fish in established tanks are rarely affected by true fungus- poor water conditions are the predominant causative factor. While I find some of the information in this article to be accurate, the treatment protocols suggested are quite erroneous. As a gram negative bacterium, metronizadole would be the last med I would consider using for treatment because its gram positive. Acriflavine isnt an antibiotic and serves only as an antiseptic. Tetracycline has been so heavily overused and misused that many bacteria has developed resistance it rendering it ineffective. Kanamycin sulfate would be my first choice for treatment which can also be combined with a nitrofurazone product such as furan2. Salt can also help but not appropriate for all fish & its not a cure by itself.

I'm not sure that is what my fish had. The water tested ok. 0/0/0/6.8 Its a heavy planted tank so there are never any nitrates. I do water changes every week and keep the temp around 80. Plus from everything I have read it sounds like my fish had velvet. Some of my fish had white fuzzy dots at the ends of some of the fins but the fins were never gone and nothing was ever red or looked like sores. Some of my fish has cloudy eyes. None had everything just the same. My Angel died overnight. Fine when I turned off the light and dead when in the morning. I think a toxin or something got into my tank making some sick and the stress of them sick or eating off the sick fish made others sick.

Back
Top Bottom