No more guppies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark Hewitt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Two weeks ago I put 3 guppies into a 17 gallon tank with 5 black skirt tetras.
Within the first hour one looked like he had a chunk out of his tail, and was dead the next morning. We went to the pet store and replaced him.

3 days later the blue guppy started looking lethargic and bloated and was dead the next morning.

The yellow and orange ones continued on fine for another week until orange began gasping at the surface, the yellow one was there too but seemed ok. About 3 days later orange died, although not before I noticed he had a very raggedy tail.

Yellow was at the surface most of the next day and had a red line all down the back of his tail, so we went to the LFS to see what they could suggest. They said, best thing was just to give him some hidning places. When we returned he was swimming around the tank, seemingly fine.

Next thing we knew, he had got himself caught on the intake of the filter! Unable to move. We unplugged the filter and he swam free, but it looked like his tail had been shredded :(. At that point the black skirts started hounding him and nipping at his tail even more.

No surprise he died a couple of hours later. So now we have no guppies.

I did think of just getting some more, but I don't want them to die the same as the rest, are guppies just not compatible with black skirts, or is it something else?

Throughout my ammonia and nitrites have been zero and nitrates at 5.

Guppies usually are very hardy so I would suggest to make one more attempt and change a pet store. Good luck!

Guppies usually are very hardy so I would suggest to make one more attempt and change a pet store. Good luck!

Well I suspect the Black Skirts may be one of the main issues, they were stopping the guppies feeding for a start. And I suspect they were getting harassed by them.

Looking at this site Tropical Fish and Aquariums Compatibility Match it says Black Skirts and Guppies are not compatible, but Molys and Platys are.

Well I suspect the Black Skirts may be one of the main issues, they were stopping the guppies feeding for a start. And I suspect they were getting harassed by them.

Looking at this site Tropical Fish and Aquariums Compatibility Match it says Black Skirts and Guppies are not compatible, but Molys and Platys are.

I've kept Guppies with Black Skirts and there was no problem... But it is my experiens. I would recommend try again.

Like with any animals, not every single one fits his 'description'. Chances are that most of your black skirts are fine with the guppies, but that you have one or two that are aggressive. I'm having an issue with my black skirts as well and I am seriously considering returning them or giving them away.

I am not suggesting that you do the same. You can add another guppy and watch the tetras to find the aggressive one. (Try to) separate it/them. Otherwise you could settle for other fish that get along with the tetras.

Good luck!

I am not suggesting that you do the same. You can add another guppy and watch the tetras to find the aggressive one. (Try to) separate it/them. Otherwise you could settle for other fish that get along with the tetras.

Good luck!

I think I'll go for the latter route, apparently mollies are better. As much as I like guppies I don't want to get a load more and see them die again!

Mark

Hahaha, very wise choice. I've just lost an angel to those little beasts, so I'm getting rid of mine

Edit: In a humane way, hahaha, taking them back to the lfs

Last edited:
Hahaha, very wise choice. I've just lost an angel to those little beasts, so I'm getting rid of mine

We only got them because they were recommended for cycling by the LFS because they are very hardy. And they were right, I had shocking levels of ammonia and nitrite in the cycle and shrugged it off completely!

I do like them, as they can be very active, chasing each other all the time. I just don't like their attitude to other fish, but apparently there are plenty of types of fish that *will* live with them, so I'll have to restrict myself to those.

Unfortunately my other half won't let me have two fish tanks :p

Darn... They are nice fish, extremely hardy like you said, very active and quite pretty. I just don't think that they're very intelligent...maybe a bit too much piranha blood in them, lol

I've just fallen in love with my angels and I am not giving them up. They managed to kill the one in my avatar. It had something to do with his colour, because they're leaving the 3 silvers alone...

Maybe you can involve your better half with the tank...then set up one for her/him with lotsa plants and some neons. Who can say no to that? ;)

Tank is 63 Litres. Has been set up for several months. Has tetras, a few albino catfish, 2 glass catfish and a few other kinds small fish (no idea what they are - aquarium shop owner has them all together in display tank)
Water is cycled 20% every 3 to 4 days as the aquarium shop recommended. I have live plants and tank floor is covered with black sand/fine gravel.
I'm just a beginner at this......never kept fish ever before this....

Has tetras, a few albino catfish, 2 glass catfish and a few other kinds small fish (no idea what they are - aquarium shop owner has them all together in display tank)

What kind of tetras? Can you describe what the other fish look like? The deaths are either being caused by weak stock (sick guppies from the store) or another fish is having a go at them. 63 liters (just shy of 17 US gallons) isn't much...I think your tank may already be overstocked...can you tell us exactly how many and what kinds (If you don't know the name, attach a photo or describe them in as much detail as possible) of fish you have in there?

Back
Top Bottom