Noob planning a planted fw pico rimless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't tried glosso, but I assumed it needs good co2 supplementation.. maybe glut would work? Remind me...you are dosing excel or something?

I haven't tried glosso, but I assumed it needs good co2 supplementation.. maybe glut would work? Remind me...you are dosing excel or something?

Daily excel, twice weekly flourish with a 12 hour photo cycle.

According to my research, glosso will grow and spread without CO2, just very slowly....

I'll know after the first cutting if it will spread or not

Not much to report

Topped off w 100% RO, dosed 2 drops excel
TDS @ 209ppm

Fed Hikari tropical micro wafers but they are TOO LARGE for our ember tetras!
Threw some flake in afterwards...

No visible growth, or death, of glosso... time will tell

Last edited:
Planted Pico Cube: Day 10 Update

Here is a pic of the cube today
20130911_193120.jpg

PLANTS
Not too much decline (or any melt) on the glosso, but that's only been in there 5 days...

I think I will cut the HM (Hemianthus micranthemoides) this weekend. Not sure why I am getting so many side shoots per stem...

The Echinodorus (amazon sword) is not doing much, some leaves are still melting after having been floating for a month before planting, so I'm not sure what to expect there.

The Ludwigia is slowly dropping it's lower, older leaves but seems to be showing new growth at the top. I may top it and replant the cuttings next to the original planting once it hits the water line.

For grins and giggles, I shoved a single leaf of Limnophila aromatica in the substrate in the corner behind the HM... we'll see what happens there in time.

Java moss is not doing much, but I am seeing all mosses in my other tanks pearling so I expect this batch will not be far behind.

I'm dosing this tank daily with Excel and twice weekly with Flourish; 2 drops per dose each per Seachem.

FISH
The amandae tetras are SO small... and based on their coloration, orange and clear, they can be really hard to find in the tank! Plus they are still pretty skittish so

Here is a "close up" pic of a pair
20130911_193230.jpg

And a wider shot showing the size compared to the filter intake
20130911_193147.jpg

Day 16 Update

Well the glosso seems to be growing, more up than out, but at least it is not dying

I'm dosing daily w XL. Here's an updated pic
20130921_100530.jpg

20130921_100456.jpg

20130921_100516.jpg

20130921_100507.jpg

Having a minor algae issue on the glass that I've been scraping off with an old credit card. Who says they're no good after you cancel them?

Is it green spot algae?

Stick that glosso down in there, man. I can still see all thy rockwoll you left on... ;) :lol:

Yea, green spot algae... I think.

Please don't harsh me bro... I did the best I could at the time :whistle:

I kind of don't want to mess with it right now but I was thinking of topping off w Shrimp Sand cause eventually this will be a shrimp cube

I dose EI. When I dosed EI on my 5 gallon I used 1/64tsp of Mono Potassium Phosphate.

Reading up on EI over at TPT

Were you dosing Mono Potassium Phosphate to combat anything specifically or just in general?

I'm looking to combat the GSA in our pico cube

Reading up on EI over at TPT Were you dosing Mono Potassium Phosphate to combat anything specifically or just in general? I'm looking to combat the GSA in our pico cube

Mono Potassium Phosphate is part of the EI regimen so I always dosed it.

It's typically dosed in general, but if you're getting a ton of GSA, you want to raise your level. I keep mine at about 2ppm. I still get a little bit by the end of the week, but it's not all that bad... I mean, I'm gonna clean the darn glass anyway... :p

Any particular reason you're doing the split photoperiod? Maybe try 5-6 hours straight, instead.

Back
Top Bottom