Noob Q about Nitrate Level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boricua1213

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Tank Background:
60 gal
Bought it used, with LR & LS and Clown, Bassel and Firefish.
All this was included with tank so I just added water from LFS. Everything is alive and doing well.

Questions:
I just tested water and all test came back fine. My nitrate level is about 20ppm. Searching online i found places the said anything <50ppm is fine. Others said <10ppm. What is ok?

Should I clean bio-balls?

How often should i feed fish? LFS said twice a day. Another said once every other day and that the other LFS is trying to sell fish food.

When I'm ready I would like to introduce coral. I was recommend when I decide to do so. Get rid of bio balls and replace with LR. Accurate?

Thanks again

Rick

As far as nitrates 0 is always the goal. This is not always what happens but you should be OK with 15 or twenty or less. Weekly PWC`s will help to drop that down to a lower level. I definitely IMO would not feed twice a day. I feed every other day but I also know others that feed every day with decent results.

I feed my fish every other day as well. You can rinse the bioballs out in your old SW to keep the beneficial bacteria alive.
Adding corals would depend on your lighting.

thanks to all

I got another question:

When I moved the tank I was left with 5 gal of SW from LFS. It has been sitting in my house for a week.

I just tested water and all test came back fine. My nitrate level is about 20ppm. Searching online i found places the said anything <50ppm is fine. Others said <10ppm. What is ok?
Zero is a goal but 2.5-5ppm is very acceptible. Even 10ppm is okay for fish but lower is better.
Should I clean bio-balls?
YOu may want to swish them around in some SW to remove any detritus from the surfaces. Make sure you use SW instead of FW to preserve the bacteria on the bioballs.
How often should i feed fish? LFS said twice a day. Another said once every other day and that the other LFS is trying to sell fish food.
It deppends on the type of fish. I feed once every other day and hang nori almost daily for my tang. Along with food, i is important to add dietary suppliments as well. I thaw and rinse fozen food and then soak it in a little selcon, vita-chem and garlic extreme. All wonderful suppliments.
When I'm ready I would like to introduce coral. I was recommend when I decide to do so. Get rid of bio balls and replace with LR. Accurate?
LR rubble is a much better filter media then bioballs. I replaced the bioballs in my sump with LR rubble. I have a couple of pics in my gallery if you want to look.

Back
Top Bottom