Noob wants a SW tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so i have been tagging along in this thread since i just started SW after many FW tanks. i was wondering if hardy fish (clowns and watchman goby) will be ok during the night if i turn of the HOB filter. the tank is in my room and i'm a light sleeper. i really can't move the tank to the living room or elsewhere cuz i'm renting a room from the home owner.

also, what's the quietest powerhead out there? like i said i'm a light sleeper and i can't sleep if the powerhead is making noises throughout the night. or can i turn it off during the night as well?

so i have been tagging along in this thread since i just started SW after many FW tanks. i was wondering if hardy fish (clowns and watchman goby) will be ok during the night if i turn of the HOB filter. the tank is in my room and i'm a light sleeper. i really can't move the tank to the living room or elsewhere cuz i'm renting a room from the home owner.

also, what's the quietest powerhead out there? like i said i'm a light sleeper and i can't sleep if the powerhead is making noises throughout the night. or can i turn it off during the night as well?

You're going to want to keep some flow in the tank at all times for oxygen exchange. Some people do turn off the majority of their flow at night though. I would look at hydor koralia power heads, I have two of them and can't even tell they're running.

You're going to want to keep some flow in the tank at all times for oxygen exchange. Some people do turn off the majority of their flow at night though. I would look at hydor koralia power heads, I have two of them and can't even tell they're running.

x2 im going to run twin hydor koralia 325 powerheads for a nice easy current, my hob isnt terribly loud but im a heavy sleeper lol it lulls me to sleep :D

ok, so should i get two nano koralias240 powerheads for my 30gal tank or just one big one? i also have this Natural Wavemaker and i'm not sure if i should get the FLO deflector that people usually get

Amazon.com: Aquarium Systems Natural Wave Wavemaker: Pet Supplies

i would just do the 2 nano's ill probably be getting pair of those and ditching my 325's, for saltwater from what ive read, the better the circulation the better, so ill be going with a pair, but to each his own bud (y)

I have 2 240s on my 20g tank and wish I had gone with stronger ones. Go with the stronger flow.

Whether they live through the night or not isnt the question haha. They will struggle with low oxygen levels in the water column with no flow. Cut your filter off and leave your powerheads running and you'll be fine as long as you have good surface agitation. Just don't forget to turn your filter back on or out it on a timer.

so i should go with a pair of nano 425's..?

I would if you plan to use a bigger grain sand to keep it from blowing around the tank. The more flow the better but you don't want your fish excessively fighting the current all day long

I would if you plan to use a bigger grain sand to keep it from blowing around the tank. The more flow the better but you don't want your fish excessively fighting the current all day long

do i have a chioce in grain size when i get live sand..? i need to know asap im getting it today! :popcorn:

This is a 37g correct?

If so I would probably look at a pair of the Hydor koralia evolution 600s

yes it is, buti dont want to much flow, i want just enough, this will be a lightly stocked tank so i dont need jet propelled flow lol just enough to sweep away waste and uneaten food and keep the fish happy.

do i have a chioce in grain size when i get live sand..? i need to know asap im getting it today! :popcorn:

yes it is, buti dont want to much flow, i want just enough, this will be a lightly stocked tank so i dont need jet propelled flow lol just enough to sweep away waste and uneaten food and keep the fish happy.

I would go with Fiji pink substrate if they have it. The polite is one size smaller and is too small imho and the one that's a size bigger seems a bit too coarse to me.

The 425s would probably work then. It will take a little more effort to get them just right for flow in the tank but its not that big of a deal.

I would go with Fiji pink substrate if they have it. The polite is one size smaller and is too small imho and the one that's a size bigger seems a bit too coarse to me.

The 425s would probably work then. It will take a little more effort to get them just right for flow in the tank but its not that big of a deal.

is that subtrate actually pink?

Not really just a slightly hint in my opinion. But it's more of a whitish tan. At least all if the bags I've ever bought were

is that subtrate actually pink?

I don't know why it's called that but it refers to the grain size

arag-alive-comparison_6.jpg

I have the special grade and wish I had gone with the fiji pink instead.

so i was in Daytona beach recently and got some really white fine sand from the beach, assuming no harmful chemicals or whatever, could it turn into live sand? and does it have some of the properties that the "live sand" have? such as pH buffering

so i was in Daytona beach recently and got some really white fine sand from the beach, assuming no harmful chemicals or whatever, could it turn into live sand? and does it have some of the properties that the "live sand" have? such as pH buffering

The only thing that makes live sand "live" is a build up of bacteria. It certainly will turn into live sand if you use it as such.

However it probably wouldn't have the same pH buffering properties as the aragonite sand.

The only thing that makes live sand "live" is a build up of bacteria. It certainly will turn into live sand if you use it as such.

However it probably wouldn't have the same pH buffering properties as the aragonite sand.

It is silica sand so no, as Mebbid said, no buffering like aragonite.
And, YIKES! Sand from Daytona Beach?! Good luck with that. They still let people drive on the beach so there is no telling what is in it. Not something I would risk. Considering the amount of money in my tank there is no way I would cheap out on sand like that. The beach I live on is a federal reserve, nothing for miles and miles and miles, and I still would not risk it.

I don't know why it's called that but it refers to the grain size

I have the special grade and wish I had gone with the fiji pink instead.

Ahh eye see now. Well I'm definitely going with reef sand for the grain size and color I went to my lrs and drooled all over the angels and tangs lol.

Back
Top Bottom