Noob: why are my plants fading?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lectraplayer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
uploadfromtaptalk1392951503454.jpguploadfromtaptalk1392952106425.jpg

I am totally new to aquatic plants, so excuse me for being clueless. I forget what kind of plant this is, but I have three specimens of this one (they come three to a pack) to go in my nano (1.5 gallon) They are each in medicine cups to facilitate easier and less stressful handling and cleaning until I can get everything "right". Gravel is my substrate. Light is from a F13BX fluorescent in the hood. Fert is API Leaf Zone. My specimens I am not using in the nano stay in a windowsill in a jar of well water. (Same water I use in the nano) The left plant in the pic of two is one of these "spares". The right one just came out of the nano after I got the faded leaves off. The other pic is the right plant prior to the water change. 5 Tetras, 1 Guppy, and 2 Ottos are also kept in the nano and are doing well. My question: why is the plant in my nano died back but my spares are still doing well? As shown, I am seeing a lot of new growth but the "mature" foliage is died back.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

It may just be shock from shipping, and also going from the water from where you got it to yours. BUT, since you have the two that are in the jars and are not melting ask yourself what is different in the aquarium than in the jars, my guess would be lighting and ammonia from the fish(you have more in there than I would add!). What are your water parameters in the tank(ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)? What water conditioners are you using, and are you adding that to the jars also? And lastly, how long do you leave the lights on? When I started out I burnt the leaves on my Java ferns by leaving the lights on for too long! In a small aquarium like a 1.5 the light is only 5 or 6 inches away, and that can be high impact on some of the low light plants. Just a few suggestions! Good luck!

First off, a 1.5 g container is 100% incompatible for those fish. :(

As for the plants, without knowing what kind they are there isn't a whole lot I can suggest.

Generally when plants are wilting like that it's due to lack of light.

Some cryptocoryne species melt then regenerate.

The root system stays alive it just changes out its leaves, normally given the correct conditions they grow back with no problems. I always worry when I see this happening, but, I know my plants are crypts (normally easy going) without knowing what you have it is difficult to guess.

Search cryptocoryne leave melt.

+3 now on the tank size for neons. I will try to be a little more constructive,
They need a lot of water don't be deceived by the size, or more correctly they need decent filtration as they don't tolerate very well conditions outside there normal ranges. The greater the body of water the more stable it will be over a given length of time.

My quarantine tanks 28litres need attention twice a day and that's with 1-5 fish.
I would expect a 1.5 gal (6 litre) would need three or more visits daily with new water to keep things as they should be.
45-60 litres you could scrape by on but be careful with stock level. That is possibly too small for these fish unless you are dedicated to their survival. Expect 4-6 years from most of the smaller tetra group. This is a normal lifespan by my experience.

Its not just the water params that are possible in such a small tank that are wrong here. Those fish will become heavily stressed as theres very little swimming space. High stress in fish leads to dead fish

Its not just the water params that are possible in such a small tank that are wrong here. Those fish will become heavily stressed as theres very little swimming space. High stress in fish leads to dead fish

That is at least a little more constructive if slightly pessimistic. I believe the op could make some use of that. My tetra seem not to swim all around until feeding time. While my tank is big enough, it is possible to achieve the correct flow for these fish in a smaller than normal tank, 45-60 litres as I've said, it is just a lot more effort on the part of the fish keeper. The tetra are quite happy swimming against the flow.

That is at least a little more constructive if slightly pessimistic. I believe the op could make some use of that. My tetra seem not to swim all around until feeding time. While my tank is big enough, it is possible to achieve the correct flow for these fish in a smaller than normal tank, 45-60 litres as I've said, it is just a lot more effort on the part of the fish keeper. The tetra are quite happy swimming against the flow.

The OP mentions in his opening post about getting everything right...

I firmly believe he/she should look at sorting out the stocking problems before looking to resolve any plant issues. Now yes my comments probably weren't overly constructive, i'll apologise for that. I was in an unrelated mood this morning. I do think however the OP and any readers will probably catch my drift. Sorry for any offense caused

If i had to comment on the plants.
It could be maybe diatom bloom covering leaves. Possible??

If im ID'ing the plant correctly i'd say it was a crypt of some sort. They are root feeders and with their root ball being kept in a medicine cup i doubt they are getting much in the way of nutrients. Maybe try planting them in the gravel and add a root tab in the gravel.

Could me the leaves melting as stated before??

Maybe the light level isn't good enough. I dont know just a thought?

Don't worry about the pessimism. I'm used to it. :rolleyes: This batch actually seemed somewhat professional. :p

I have had this tank occupied for only about a month or so, so I am unsure where diatoms would come from.

Nitrates are kept below 40PMM. Regardless I change 50% water every 4 or 5 days. Nothing else is detectable. I will get an ammonia wheel though.

Fish seem very happy so far. The UG filter creates a LOT of current. I will move my guppy and at least one otto when I get that 20 gallon and 30 gallon aquaria I have been eyeing.

With a F13BX fluorescent providing my lighting, I am unsure how to increase my lighting farther short of optimising the color to the plants

Btw: I'm a man. Here me roar. :cool:

Also, what would be a good substrate to use with these plants?

Don't worry about the pessimism. I'm used to it. :rolleyes: This batch actually seemed somewhat professional. :p

I have had this tank occupied for only about a month or so, so I am unsure where diatoms would come from.

Nitrates are kept below 40PMM. Regardless I change 50% water every 4 or 5 days. Nothing else is detectable. I will get an ammonia wheel though.

Fish seem very happy so far. The UG filter creates a LOT of current. I will move my guppy and at least one otto when I get that 20 gallon and 30 gallon aquaria I have been eyeing.

With a F13BX fluorescent providing my lighting, I am unsure how to increase my lighting farther short of optimising the color to the plants

Btw: I'm a man. Here me roar. :cool:

I will try answer some of your questions...

Your probably in the diatom stage. Sand and gravel contain silicates which leach into the water. Diatoms are brown algae that feed only on these silicates. Pretty much every tank gets them in early days. Once silicates are consumed all diatoms die off so nothing to worry about.

I think you need to be doing water changes more regularly. With such a small amount of water it doesn't take long for it to become 'fouled'. Especially with the large amount of stock you have in there. I would guess you should be aiming for every other day.

Also get yourself proper liquid drop test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Test every day as its such a small tank. Water change at any sign of ammonia or nitrite as its toxic to fish.

You really need to be moving all fish. Its like homing yourself in a wardrobe and spending your entire life in there. I reckon you wouldn't enjoy yourself much lol.

I dont think your issue is lighting tbh. I think its nutrient related. As stated before get your plants properly planted. Gravel is ok but remember theres no nutrients in it, so you need to provide them.

Finally men dont go 'roar', LIONS do lol ?

The OP mentions in his opening post about getting everything right...

I firmly believe he/she should look at sorting out the stocking problems before looking to resolve any plant issues. Now yes my comments probably weren't overly constructive, i'll apologise for that. I was in an unrelated mood this morning. I do think however the OP and any readers will probably catch my drift. Sorry for any offense caused

I hate that, sometimes I have the right hump and then somebody gets it. I won't accept your apology purely because I don't think you need to apologise, at least not to me, so no hard feelings, the point I was trying to make, while this time it concerns you, is that some of the posts I've seen I wonder how can that help a "noob" I'm fairly new here but am not a new "keeper"

Cheer up (y) (mildly sorry for biting into you, just enough to clear the air)
:flowers:peace! (Honestly put ^)

At the start of my Fishkeeping expedition I got loads of sour advice from my fish store, basically aimed at making them money, business not care. So I learned a bunch of stuff because I had to.

We all want to get everything right, especially when it concerns the welfare of living things. That's normal, some just don't care but most people are decent.

Once again, cheer up. I know life ain't so easy sometimes!

This is positive, to MR OP.

A lot of crypt species are quite ok in just regular gravel.

A simple ready made supplement, daily dose or similar weekly approach should be ok, but, either a proper picture or name will help as some species require slightly more care. Most if not all crypts are lower light. That's good.

The weekly dose may not work so good because of the frequency of the water changes you will be doing.

You can get various types of root tabs, normally clay based, they work. Very easy.

Daily doses are normally worked out per 50liter or so. They could be difficult to use in such a small system.

About the fish....

Try and work something out fast, even if only temporary. I'm not sure of your position in life, maybe at school or unemployed. There are plenty of items that can be used as holding tanks which are cheaper than glass. This should keep the fish alive, it will be less work for you and better for the livestock. Then when money allows something more suitable can be used.

I have gotten my bucket set up to my liking with a HOB filter and (for now) transferred my guppy, an otto cat, and all plants for now.

All my tetras are in a perfect line right now. ;)

Back
Top Bottom