Noobie needs some help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jb1985

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I am trying to become a more experienced fish caretaker, and am in need of help/tips. Please forgive if this post seems long or if i state some stupid questions, as i am a noob. First off my tank is:

55 gallon freshwater
Fluval 306 canister filter
Fluval heater- heat stays between 75 and 76.5 °f
Super naturals black sand substrate
top fin 50 power head in bottom corner with air tube
2 air stones in ornaments with a fluval dual output pump
glass hoods
Current orbit marine 48'' LED ramp timer pro lighting

Had tank for about 3 years then needed to move. Put fish in friends tank during move, set up new tank, let it run for a month than added my fish. Has been a year up and running now

1 Grommie- about 5 years old
1 african cichlids--- 3 weeks
1 catfish----- 3 weeks
1 plecko---- today

I started to get seriouse about my tank a month ago, IE weekly maiontenance, At that point i had 1 Gommie and 1 angel fish. Went to pet store and got 2 african cichlids and the cat fish. Added to tank. Next day they were all up top gasping for air except the grommie. I freaked and went and got large airstones and a marineland 150 air head, but i had to work. By the time i got home the angel fish and 1 of the cichlids were dead. Added the power head and air stones and within 2 hours everybody seemed to be doing good. For the next 2 weeks i was fighting Amonina, and nitrites. I use API master fresh water test kit and ocasional test strips. My ph reads 7.4 and high range read 7.6. I assume that means im somewhere in the middle. I finally got the amonia and nitrites down to 0ppm, and my nitrates at 40ppm. The lighting is on a ramp timer and i have been doing a 10 hour schedule, 15 min of blue before white, 10 hours of white 100% then 4 hours of moonlight. to get the levels down the past 2 weeks i have been doing alot of partial w/c. checking this site for tips along the way. Then last week i notice some brown/red algea on the back glass of tank. Scrubbed it off and did a partial w/c. Came back. Did the same thing 2 days later. Got home today and the algea is everywhere, all over air lines, ornaments, tank glass, fake plants, filter inlet/outlet. So i went to the pet store tonight and got a lil plecko to help clean up a slight amount, and did a 5 gall w/c. I need help figuring out what caused this algea bloom and how to get rid of it. Tank has been in use for almost 5 years and never once has this happened. I did make a mistake of removing old biowheel filter and going straight to canister without cycling the canister, but that was a little over a month ago. I would really appreciate any help/advice i can get. I don't want to kill my buddies. I have attached a pic of my tank, hopefully you can see something. The ornaments are suppose to be white by the way, and they just turned this color within 24 hours

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 82
Hello there! This happened to me before. It's a specific type of algae caused by too much lighting. I know it sounded weird to me, but once I turned my lights off earlier, day by day I didn't get any algae. Also, the pleco may or may not get rid of your algae. I suggest a snail :). Good luck!

Had snails before. Never again. Got one and a week later their were like 100. Thank you for your advice

It doesnt look like you have any live plants so i agree you should cut lighting. Algae is a plant and needs light and nutrients. Your providing both with long light period and high nitrates. I would do frequent pwc and get the nitrates down.

Thank you. Anything else i can do to get nitrates down besides pwc?

Fast growing live plants to out compete the algae and use the nitrates as plant food.... Even if you dont want them long term they will help in the short term .... Things like hornwort, water sprite you can leave floating and will grow like crazy.... But pwcs are the best... You dont have a huge bioload so im surprised you have such high nitrates.... What test kit do u use?

Oh... I see its the api kit... Thats good. Make sure you shake the nitrate bottles(especially #2) REALLY well... Like almost bang it on the table.... Or it can give innacurate results

I use api freshwater master kit. 1 month old still has a year before expiring. Nitrates have read the same 2 weeks so i believe i am not screwing up the test. My dad purchased me some plant seeds. He used them before and liked them. Or should i go with the ones already sprouted? Ideal number of plants? I don't want to overload

All i have been doing is shaking by nad for the 30 seconds. Sometimes a lil longer. I will shake very hard and test right now and compare to an api strip as well

Results are in. Api test kit nitrates are 40 ppm. Color difference between 40 and 80 ppm is hard to tell. Api test strip results are. 120 ppm GH. 80 KH. 7.0 ph. 0 nitrite and 80 ppm nitrates

Also i have turned off the lighting for the past 24 hrs and will start doing 4 hrs of light a day or less. Is it ok to add fish with the algae? I want to go to a fish store 45 min away on sunday to maybe get 2 or 3 more fish. This place has some exotic freshwater. Bigger selection than pet smart which is were i have been getting the recent fish

DO NOT get more fish... Let the tank settle... Patience is hard as we all know, but you need to step back.... When u are at 0-0-10 start thinking of more fish

Ok. Will keep up with 10 gallon pwc every other day till the nitrates are down. Or is that to much?

I say go big or go home.... In a 55 gallon id do a 30 or 40% change then test.... Are u vacumming substrate during pwcs?

Also... Algae is actually ur friend in this nitrate fight.... Keep lighting very short... Deal with nitrates(change water)... Then think about about algae... Im off to bed. Check in w u tommorow.

Trying to. Its a fine sand. I cant stick it in to get the stuff. I usually stir the sand around then let it settle. Then hover the tube above it and try to get as much as
i can. I have a gravity syphon, the syphon u hook up to a tap, and a battery vacuum that doesn't remove water. What ever i use i can really only get the big stuff. Theirs a lot of small particles but i suck up to much sand when i try to get them. i ever loose all my fish i will def be changing back to gravel

Thank you for your advice. I really want a clean well stocked and beautiful tank. I will be patient till i have everything right

Back
Top Bottom