normally active guppies now lethargic.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
I won't go back into the explanation of adding infected neon tetras that i believe infected my tank, but since i added them on Friday my guppies are very lethargic. Also, this morning around 3am my yellow guppy was laying upside down on the bottom. I figured it was dead. So i go to dip him out and mourn. He takes off when my net gets close to him.

I figured this morning i would have a dead guppy and neon tetra or two to dip out. Well to my surprise the guppy is still swimming around. All still lethargic and staying just below the surface, but alive. They moved around quite a bit during my 25% pwc today.

Anyway. I think i am gonna treat the tank and from now on get a small tank to quarantine new additions. What do you suppose could be the issue? The infected neon tetras came from a lfs and they admit to the problem, but it is still under investigation.

Will my guppies pull through if i treat the tank? I also have neon tetras and two red wag platies. Will they make it if treated? Or is there a percentage of success? Gonna treat with tetra fungus guard which treats for fungus and bacteria.

Do you know you're water paramaters and temperature by any chance?

Yes, yesterday ammo 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10-20. Ph 7.6. Today after pwc, ammo 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5. Ph 7.8

Temperature 67. Don't have a heater yet, but have been told water that cool is ok and the meds i got claim to work without raising temp.

I suggest at least 70 Degrees for Guppies.
Also, i think they should make it with necessary care given.

What were the neons infected with?

Install an air bubbler and see if that helps with the O2 level. Fish lacking oxygen usually hang out below the surface.

David
EDIT: Disregard the air bubbler suggestion. At that temperature the O2 should be fine.

What were the neons infected with?

Install an air bubbler and see if that helps with the O2 level. Fish lacking oxygen usually hang out below the surface.

David
EDIT: Disregard the air bubbler suggestion. At that temperature the O2 should be fine.

Plus i have the aquaclear 110 hob filter. It aerates pretty good. Gonna start treatment tonight. I don't know what the neons were infected with. The lfs does not know for sure. They said it looks like multiple issues so they gave me what was described as a cure all called tetra fungus guard.

I wouldn't treat a tank unless you know what you're treating for. Your best bet at the moment is to do large water changes, daily if needed. You can solve lots of problems with massive water changes.

David

I wouldn't treat a tank unless you know what you're treating for. Your best bet at the moment is to do large water changes, daily if needed. You can solve lots of problems with massive water changes.

David
Actually, if they are infected, he should try to treat it even if he doesn't know the cause since waiting will just make it worst and cause more stress.

Actually, if they are infected, he should try to treat it even if he doesn't know the cause since waiting will just make it worst and cause more stress.

Yeah, i am worried sick that they are suffering. I gotta try something.

Infected with what? Fishkeepers have done much more harm treating fish while having no clue what they're treating for. Besides, the OP will run the risk of not only killing his fish, but the beneficial bacteria as well, as many meds will do just that.

I would go with an aggressive water change regimen...

David

Infected with what? Fishkeepers have done much more harm treating fish while having no clue what they're treating for. Besides, the OP will run the risk of not only killing his fish, but the beneficial bacteria as well, as many meds will do just that.

I would go with an aggressive water change regimen...

David

Well, whether it was the right thing to do or not remains to be seen. Even though i do not know specifically what the ailment is, i do know they were sick with something. This was apparent when i saw my guppy laying lifeless upside down on the bottom of the tank. He somehow came to, but i feel treating with what i was told and what my research suggests is a good overall cure all was my best course of action at this time. After all, even if daily pwc's took whatever it is out of the water i still have infected fish.

So i treated my tank. I removed the carbon media. Should i get a new carbon or reuse the old one? Could the old one still have some of the problem in it? I actually kept it in some dechlorinated water in hopes to preserve some of the BB in it. Maybe i should just scrap it and get a new carbon afterwards?

I would go with new carbon. After a while carbon leaches nasties back into the water column.

David

Back
Top Bottom