Not really interested in breeding...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcmcn5

Aquarium Advice Regular
but I'm fairly sure one of my platy's is pregnant. I have a community tank that is populated enough and there is not enough room for a dozen or more fry. I have a QT I could use I suppose but I'm really not interested in breeding.

So, assuming I'm right, and she gives birth, and suggestions as so what steps I take? I could save some to the QT but then what?

I could do nothing I suppose, and let nature take its course in my existing tank but 4 platys, 4 black tetras and 9 rummy-nosed tetras don't strike me as a bunch of fry eaters (or am I wrong about that?)

In any event, I'd be interested in any suggestions as to next steps should I discover a bunch of fry buzzing around one morning.

thanks

Trust me, your fish will likely take care of most of the fry, unless you have a heavily planted tank with plenty of hiding spaces. I've never seen a fry survive other than in my 10g;s which are all full of floating plants. IN the rest, though heavily planted, there are enough fish in there to hunt down all the fry and I don't have an issue if I don't want them.

If you are wanting to save a few just to watch them grow you can always donate them to the LFS later on...but it just depends on what you want to do.

Or you can always feed them to larger fish (if you have them) as a nice snack

I have guppy fry maybe 20 more or less... shook plants and tried to count In a 29 gal that will be a week old Sunday and guppy fry Maybe 10 more or less i tried to count after shaking plants in a 10 gal that will be a week old I figure strongest survive give away some and feed some to my Betta

Here's a suggestion, keep the parents separated from the fry and just keep all the same genders together. That way, you are guaranteed to not have more fry ( Once the females have let all saved fertilized eggs out . ;) )

Hope this helps

I can't seperate mine until quarantine of new females is done lol they had fry 2 days after I got them

Back
Top Bottom