Not Rinsing Sand Experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aviator71

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello guys new on this forum but not necessarily new to fish tanks.

So getting back into the hobby again, and I made the famous mistake of not rinsing the sand. I noticed after adding the water the step I had skipped. My water was not terribly cloudy but enough to notice. Luckily I'm doing a fishless cycle in a 20G, so I had no need to remove any fish. Read through multiple threads about this problem and what to do to fix it.

What I decided to do was simply do a large water change, around 90-95% change. Once I had about a inch and half of water left, I stirred the sand around to make the water cloudy etc to release all the debris. Proceeded to take as much as I could out than added some new water in. Again stirring the sand up, and took some more out and repeated that process about 3 to 4x. Only re-added about 2 jugs full of water

Once finished I filled the tank back up and I would say my tank is about 95% clear now. I immediately noticed the cloudy water had been eliminated.

I am simply posting this experience for future questions if someone happens to skip one of the most important processes with a sand tank.

Any tips and advice is always appreciated!

Zach

Back
Top Bottom