not sure I like the sand anymore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smomus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all. About 2 months ago I switched my gravel to sand at first I loved it! But now I'm not so sure. Just seems washed up to me or something. It is regular play sand, maybe that's why I don't like it? I've seen the natural colored gravel and really like that but would like something between gravel and sand. Anyone have any suggestions?

Sand as a Substrate

Hey all. About 2 months ago I switched my gravel to sand at first I loved it! But now I'm not so sure. Just seems washed up to me or something. It is regular play sand, maybe that's why I don't like it? I've seen the natural colored gravel and really like that but would like something between gravel and sand. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hello s...

If you want to keep it simple, then you can't go wrong with standard pea sized gravel. It's smooth, so it can't injure your fish. Water circulates through it easily, so plants get the proper nutrients and it's easily vacuumed.

I'm a fan of the standard gravel. I'd leave the fancier substrates to the experts.

Just an opinion, however.

B

It's all a matter of personal taste! I got the lighter colored sand and am wishing it was darker because that would look more like the riverbeds I'm used to seeing :ROFLMAO:

Is a really fine sand. it's not dark, nor light, right in the middle. idk I'm just bored with the way they look I guess.

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
Sounds like its time for another tank lolol

I wish! Would love to get one that's bigger! I already have 5 tho...

Why not add some natural gravel on top that matches the color of the sand, sparsely. After all very rarely in nature is there just sand without larger pebbles. This way you get a new look without losing bacteria and don't have to get a new tank

I have the "natural" colored gravel in our newly re-setup 60 gallon (for goldfish); it's the kind that looks like the "pebble beach" design, or what you would find at the bottom of a lake or riverbed...they're like beige-colored smaller and bigger stones...

Just bought some pea gravel from Lowes and going to take most of the sand out of my betta tank tonight when it cools off. I think that's a good idea to leave some of the sand in and put it on top.
On a side note, what plants are safe to pt in the aquarium and diving out the top? I'll ask this in planted tanks forum too

I mixed mine too. Reddish orange sand with black gravel.

Attachments

• image-4086075761.jpg
    image-4086075761.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 129
Just about done cleaning my pea sized gravel. Goofily I'll love the loon of it. But so far it's great. I bought this from lows for only 3 bucks. Cheap and great pea sized gravel to use for your tank. Plus I LOVE the natural look of it

Attachments

• image-1115427191.jpg
    image-1115427191.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 120
Tyler3533 said:
Just about done cleaning my pea sized gravel. Goofily I'll love the loon of it. But so far it's great. I bought this from lows for only 3 bucks. Cheap and great pea sized gravel to use for your tank. Plus I LOVE the natural look of it

I got similar, just a local company. I think mine was $3.50 I started rinsing it outside and for 1am it had just a bit to much lose dirt for me to deal with in the dark lol. I'll resume rinsing tomorrow :)

smomus said:
I got similar, just a local company. I think mine was $3.50 I started rinsing it outside and for 1am it had just a bit to much lose dirt for me to deal with in the dark lol. I'll resume rinsing tomorrow :)

Yeah at first took awhile to get the dirt out. I eventually laid the gravel out on a beach towel which left a good amount of dirt in the bucket which I sprayed out. Also when it's laird out on the towel, it has a lot more surface area so the dirt comes off faster IMO

When I set up my 46g recently I went with a "pea" gravel & I've noticed it compacts more than the larger gravel in my 2 10g so more gunk stays on top of it rather than sinking below it. Makes vacuuming it easier & faster without having to "dig" underneath it, even though I do a little just to clean good. I like the look because what i have has color variation.

JRMagno said:
Why not add some natural gravel on top that matches the color of the sand, sparsely. After all very rarely in nature is there just sand without larger pebbles. This way you get a new look without losing bacteria and don't have to get a new tank

+1! I left some of my old gravel in when I did the big switcheroo. It looks so good with a few pebbles here and there. Another option is to add like a single bag of pool filter sand to your existing sand. It will lighten the color a bit. I actually wanted to darken my sand for a more "rivery" look so I did the opposite, adding some play sand.

Or you could just bite the bullet and make the swap :)

Lexilove said:
I mixed mine too. Reddish orange sand with black gravel.

I really like that look! By gravel standards i have quite large natural gravel so i am considering switching to white pool filter sand and then put some black gravel in and have it look like there are veins of black in the white sand...... I love the dice!

Back
Top Bottom