Not sure what to do with my beta...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CandyHouze

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My beta has been acting weird, I don't think its been more than a week I've noticed him acting like this. He seems to be struggling when he swims, its all frantic and shaky and he's having trouble getting to the top of his tank and grabbing his food, which wasn't really an issue before. He also needs to rest a lot and sometimes keels over when he does. I've taken some water out of his tank (10 gallons) so he has an easier time getting to the top, and he's still eating at least.

I've noticed he looks a little bloated when I see him from the back, so I was thinking dropsy, but there's no pinecone appearance and I never actually see him from the back very often so I'm not sure about that.
I'm not sure what to do since there's nothing about his appearance (other than the maybe bloating?) that looks different. I'm wondering if he's just getting old since from what I've read he's getting old for the average beta (I got him Jan. 2010) Any ideas?

Hi! Have you checked your water parameters (amm, nitrite,nitrate)? Please let us know what your readings are so we can better help you!

d
My beta has been acting weird, I don't think its been more than a week I've noticed him acting like this. He seems to be struggling when he swims, its all frantic and shaky and he's having trouble getting to the top of his tank and grabbing his food, which wasn't really an issue before. He also needs to rest a lot and sometimes keels over when he does. I've taken some water out of his tank (10 gallons) so he has an easier time getting to the top, and he's still eating at least.

I've noticed he looks a little bloated when I see him from the back, so I was thinking dropsy, but there's no pinecone appearance and I never actually see him from the back very often so I'm not sure about that.
I'm not sure what to do since there's nothing about his appearance (other than the maybe bloating?) that looks different. I'm wondering if he's just getting old since from what I've read he's getting old for the average beta (I got him Jan. 2010) Any ideas?

I don't think a 10 month old beta is really "old". I'd do the following:

1. Don't feed him for an entire day, at all (possibly two days)... this will help him digest whatever he's got in his stomach if as you say he's kind of bloated. Remember, their stomachs are the size of their eyes... so if you are over feeding him he could be backed up and this could be causing the sluggishness.

2. Test your water parameters immediately to see what your levels are at (preferably with a non-strip kit... use the actual liquid kits).

3. Check your water temperature... Beta's are tropical fish. They like it warm. If you're down in the lower 70's then it's rather cold for a beta... it will cause them to be sluggish.

I have two beta's currently and both are in a 5 gallon tank with heater and power filter (HOB style), full hood with lights. They sit around 78 degrees and LOVE it... before I had heaters they were down around 72-74 and they were much more sluggish than they are now.

Also, what are you feeding them? My one beta WILL NOT ABSOLUTELY touch any pellets... he goes bananas for blood worms... my other beta LOVES pellets... so each fish is kind of his own little personality.

Oh yeah, one more thing... if you do have a filter on the tank... make sure the current isn't to much. Beta (at least mine) don't seem to like that much of a current. I have my water very high so it's basically touching the mouth of the filter so it doesn't really cause much of a current but it ripples the surface enough to keep that nasty film that accumulates on the surface off.

I agree with Miller. I'd also add to do a 50% water change with a good dechlorinator (after you check your water parameters; getting those nitrite, ammonia, etc readings before a water change will be important to help diagnosis). What is your water change schedule/frequency? Clean water regularly can do wonders to help/prevent disease. I'd also try the fasting for 1-2 days, then try feeding him a thawed, de-shelled, unsalted frozen pea, which can also help with digestion if that's what it is.

I have read some articles that it can be very dangerous to feed a betta peas because they are carniverous. It would be better to fast him (dont feed at all ) for two, maybe even 3 days. It does sound like he has been overfed. Technically they could go a week without food with no problem and its actually recommended to fast your betta one day a week. If your feeding betta pellets, 1-2 a day is plenty. I think after not feeding for 2-3 days, you can try a small portion of a shelled pea, but only try it once.

Also the temperature could definitely be a factor. Do you have a heater in the tank? Bettas like 78-82.

If your betta was bought jan 2010, he probably at least two years old, since this is now October of 2011, and sometimes by the time they get to the pet store they've already been used for breeding. I think the life expectancy is 2-3 years.

Back
Top Bottom