Not wanting to overstock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ficklewinds

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 36 gallon bowfront that is just about cycled. It'll be planted and would have been already if the site I bought them from had been honest on shipping times. I'm hoping by this weekend it's fish adding time!

This is what I'm looking at at the moment:
6 Diamond Tetras
6 Bronze or Panda Cory's
and 5 or six Rainbowfish, probably Murray River.

I'm going to start with the tetras and add the others over the next month or two.

Would I have room at a later date, assuming all goes well, to add maybe a Gourami and a killifish for some color? Or does anyone have any suggestions?

I have my heart set on rainbowfish, but I'm flexible on the rest and the type of rainbow honestly! I feel like with the above I won't have anything super colorful that'll pop out. Someone suggested a German Blue Ram, but after researching, I'm not sure I can make it fit. As for the tetras, I really want Congo Tetras, but I keep getting mixed suggestions on tank size. AQadvisor says they won't work, but other sites say they will. The pics of the diamond ones look amazing though...

My filter situation is currently: A Sun-Sun 303b canister and one Cascade 200 HOB on the back. My budget on the canister was pretty small and so far it's worked fine. I hope it stays that way. I may do away with the HOB, but right now, it's not hurting anything and is pretty darn quiet.

Opinions welcome!

Hey there!

Love the bowfront - I have one too in the same size!

As far as the stock, I would personally avoid the MRR. Since they can get well over 3in long, I worry that a half-dozen may not have enough room to swim about in the 36g. But, that is my own opinion and I can understand why you'd want them - they're gorgeous fish!!

Aside from that, your stock plan looks pretty slick. I think the tetra/cory/rainbowfish group was a winner! I don't think you'd even need to add in the gourami or killifish.

Can't wait to see pics of the progress and welcome to AA!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class

That setup would be perfectly fine, assuming you have the filtration to handle it. My friend has 1 1 foot pleco, 2 10" knife fish, 3 6" eclipse cats, 4 6" piranhas, 3 6.5" bluegill, 1 10.5" foot green sunfish, and a turtle in his 55g. They've been happy for years.

Well, my cycle isn't quite complete yet. My nitrites are finally starting to drop so I'm expecting it to be soon!

I've decided to go with 6-8 diamond tetras, 6 dwarf neon rainbows, and the cory's to start with. I agree the MMR's would get too big for the tank. Maybe one day I'll find the room to get a bigger tank. The bug has definitely bit me :lol:

I'm going to let those three get settled for a month and after that will go from there. Thanks for the replies! I'm hoping to get some pictures up soon. My aquascaping is pitiful, but it'll take time for the plants to grow and I'm hoping it looks better then.

This site has been extremely helpful. Thank you all so much!

Def want small rainbows, as the size isn't just about bioload. Rainbows are more like barbs, in that they are very active and use more space for active swimming then many other fish the same size.

That setup would be perfectly fine, assuming you have the filtration to handle it. My friend has 1 1 foot pleco, 2 10" knife fish, 3 6" eclipse cats, 4 6" piranhas, 3 6.5" bluegill, 1 10.5" foot green sunfish, and a turtle in his 55g. They've been happy for years.

Your friend's 55g sounds terrible !
And not a great example of stocking a tank. I'm glad his fish are surviving.
This would NOT work for most people and some of the fish are probably stunted.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Panda Corys like water that is a little cooler, so be aware.

Sterbais are good in warmer tanks. I love their orange fins.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well, my cycle isn't quite complete yet. My nitrites are finally starting to drop so I'm expecting it to be soon!

I've decided to go with 6-8 diamond tetras, 6 dwarf neon rainbows, and the cory's to start with. I agree the MMR's would get too big for the tank. Maybe one day I'll find the room to get a bigger tank. The bug has definitely bit me :lol:

I'm going to let those three get settled for a month and after that will go from there. Thanks for the replies! I'm hoping to get some pictures up soon. My aquascaping is pitiful, but it'll take time for the plants to grow and I'm hoping it looks better then.

This site has been extremely helpful. Thank you all so much!

So glad we can help! Hope to hear more soon!! And, as I'm sure you know with this hobby, patience is a virtue, lol.

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class

Back
Top Bottom