Nothings Growing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Philip99

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55g planted tank
Nothing seems to be growing even through the use of root tabs etc

Nitrates 0ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
Ammonia 0ppm
Ph 7.6

Some tank specs
55g
2x t5 6700k HO
Fluval c4 HOB filter
Fluorite substrate

Some of the plants that aren't growing at all
Val's
Dwarf sag
Hair grass
Anubis
Rotitlia
Java moss

If anyone has any ideas on the cause of this problem please let me know :)

adammorrill said:
When did you add them to the tank? Are you dosing any ferts to the water column?

The plants have been in the tank for over 4 months now, they are not dying or growing.
I have been dosing flourish excel and flourish iron on a weekly basis

Philip99 said:
The plants have been in the tank for over 4 months now, they are not dying or growing.
I have been dosing flourish excel and flourish iron on a weekly basis

You may want to use regular Flourish comprehensive and nitrogen. Some of your plants are column feeders which root tabs won't help. Did you plant the anubias and ferns in the sand or tie them to wood or rocks?

I see you have zero nitrates. You want to have at least some. Having none would suggest that your plants are likely using them, but you cant see any growth.. hum. The Excel and iron you're adding don't often help plant growth without the comprehensive Flourish (or lots of tap water changes). That may be all you need. How often do you do water changes and how many fish are in your tank?

CorallineAlgae said:
You may want to use regular Flourish comprehensive and nitrogen. Some of your plants are column feeders which root tabs won't help. Did you plant the anubias and ferns in the sand or tie them to wood or rocks?

I see you have zero nitrates. You want to have at least some. Having none would suggest that your plants are likely using them, but you cant see any growth.. hum. The Excel and iron you're adding don't often help plant growth without the comprehensive Flourish (or lots of tap water changes). That may be all you need. How often do you do water changes and how many fish are in your tank?

The anubias is tied to rock as well as my fern
I change the water in my tank every week and I have 8 rainbows and 5 tetras

rkilling1 said:
Pick up some dry ferts. All of them, NPK and micros.

Where about would I get dry frets I live in Ontario

Philip99 said:
Where about would I get dry frets I live in Ontario

I ordered my dry ferts from Green Leaf Aquariums but I don't think they ship to Canada. You can call or email them to check. Lots of online options to choose from if you search.

aqua_chem said:
They won't ship nitrates to Canada, but they might the others.

Are there any other methods of obtaining nitrates in Canada

Since getting kn03 is so difficult to get would calcium nitrate also serve the same purpose?

It doesn't look like you are dosing any potassium. Comprehensive may not contain enough and that is an important macro nutrient.

Philip99 said:
Since getting kn03 is so difficult to get would calcium nitrate also serve the same purpose?

I can't say, haven't tried it, but if all else fails you could get the liquid nitrogen supplement from Seachem. That ships to Canada.

CorallineAlgae said:
I can't say, haven't tried it, but if all else fails you could get the liquid nitrogen supplement from Seachem. That ships to Canada.

Ya ill call my LFS today to see if they can order me some seachem nitrogen in.

BillD said:
Check with a hydroponics store. That is where most hobbyists get their dry ferts. Lots of them around Ontario.

Thanks! They have some KN03 500g for 4.99$ CAN
Is there a formula for the amount of KN03 I would have to add to achieve 5ppm Nitrate?

Alright so I picked up some KNO3 today and mixed 67.2g of it with 250ml of water to achieve 4.08ppm per every 10gallons. After about 2 hrs I went to test the nitrate levels and nothing happened... :(

I am using the API master test kit by the way and have redone the test 7 times.

Does anyone have any ideas of what might be happening?

Your test kit is not sensitive enough to show that low of levels. You need to rely on your nutrient calculations at low levels. It not uncommon for those cheap test kits to be off by 10 or more ppm.

Back
Top Bottom