Nu Nu and Gboy's 66 gallon Red Sea Max build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Skimmers are weird. Can take up to a week or longer sometimes for them to get going correctly tuned in. If cowbell is giving his thumbs up to the skimmer, you're golden. Get that bad boy cycling so we can see it full of livestock!

Hahah! Great, i will be adding half the established sponge, all the new sponges and ceramic rings, and the ammonia before the day is over!

Its funny, when the tank is up and the fish are moved in, the chalk bass and little clown (really small little guy) will have much more room than they will know what to do with!!

You can always just have a bucket full of water with some vinegar to help break in the skimmer

Jlsardina said:
You can always just have a bucket full of water with some vinegar to help break in the skimmer

Oh! Thats a cool idea, what is it about the vinegar that helps?

Not really sure. Lol. But that's how I broke in my octopus skimmer. My slimmer can take up to 6 weeks to break in per the manual.

I started the bucket with pwc water and some vinegar and it works like a champ. Lol

Hahah its like the secret ingredient then? Lol, great.

Then to clear it out after, do you run it in regular water?

I believe the vinegar works by cleaning off the oily residue that comes from the manufacturing process. The bubbles need something to climb up to get into the collection cup, but the oils keep the bubbles from being able to grab on and climb.

As for the ceramic rings - I've heard of them before, but wouldn't they be similar to bio-balls, in that they would eventually become a nitrate factory if not maintained.

I know the reason is to give more surface for BB, but just wondering. Don't have any experience or knowlege of them.

Answer: Yes run it in regular RO or saltwater after the vinegar bath.

Added all biological filtration, carbon, and seeded 1/2 sponge tonight:) put in the filter cartridge, then added a tiny bit more than 2 teaspoons. I will test in the morning and see how its going!!

Ps. Added rock to tank!

Edit: oh...and for our b day, our sisters boyfriend (got us into fish originally) offered to buy us a small yellow eye kole tang..,how can we say no?!?:):)

Jlsardina said:
Looks good!

Thanks! Think thats enough room for a small kole?:/

We still have the live rock to add, but that is just a matter of replacing pieces and such

Gboy66 said:
Thanks! Think thats enough room for a small kole?:/

We still have the live rock to add, but that is just a matter of replacing pieces and such

Idk, it's your choice. It may be tempting to do it but are you willing to cut out a few fish from your stock for it?

Ibrahim said:
Idk, it's your choice. It may be tempting to do it but are you willing to cut out a few fish from your stock for it?

Agreed. You may have to cut out some other fish.

Just remember to leave swim room in front and behind your rockwork so that the tang has enough swim room. Good work with adding the caves though!

Thanks guys! To answer your question, yes. We have already cut out the flame angel mainly because it is a grazer just lile the kole, and because it could nip coral and we dont want to take more risks then we have to. It that enough??

Thanks george and austin! Its funny you freshys are following this build, hopefully it inspires you guys so set up a salty tank:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom