Nursery tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Edit: here ya go
the ideal size of a nursery os 10 gallons. 10 gallons is for the average breeder. more than 10 gallons is dedicated.

your nursery will need to be cycled just like any other tank you have. you can speed this up by adding used filter media ( seeded) to your tank or in the filter

Filters

your nursery will need filtration. duh lol if your going to use a stan=dard filter cover upo the intake with either a sponge or a washed pair of pantyhose. this will prevent the filter from sucking up fry. personaly i use a sponge filter, it dosent throw the fry arond the tank like any other filter would.

Feeding

your nursery will need to be fed several times a day. weather its 2-3 or 3-4 they need to be fed. feeding your fry crunched up flakes is perfect. you may also treat them to a few brine shrimp . wenever cleaning out the nursery make sure to suck up left over food.

Edit edit: something went wrong so see the link in my signature on the 2 page it has a post about nursery tanks

There are ones you can buy at the big name pet stores, or you can take a Tupperware and cut it's in the sides ( small enough for fry not to get out) to let water pass and clip that too your tank. Sam with a 2 liter cut in half. What kind of fish are you gonna use this for?

If you can't splurdge on a nursery tank, then I'd use. The 2litre way.

Cut in half

Cut slits small enough for the fry to not slip through

Take the top you cut off and make a circle the size of the opening and put it in with larger slints in it. This is for the babies to fall through. Secure it in place and you have your own fry catcher, of course you could always buy a breeders net...... LOL

Back
Top Bottom