Nutrient rich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galerius

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've read in several posts about certain plants needing "nutrient rich" substrates. What exactly qualifies a substrate as being nutrient rich? I will be upgrading my 30 long to a 40 soon and I will be replacing my gravel. My 30 gal is heavily planted with 3.2 wpg and C02 injection. My 40 gal will be 2.4 wpg and still heavily planted. Any suggestions on a good substrate? Also, with a "nutrient rich" substrate, will I still need to dose with liquid fertilizers?

TIA

What they are talking about are heavy root feeding plants like swords and such. Nutrient rich often is talking about substrates rich in iron and other trace minerals that the plants need. Even still it's not bad to use plant tabs.

You can use regular pea gravel, mixed with tabs and the plants will do fine.

Unfortunately dosing with ferts will be a must, even with nutrient rich substrates. The substrates will eventually become depleted anyhow.

I like Eco-Complete, but use both Eco and normal gravel. I like the way the Eco settles with he bigger bits on the bottom. This does allow the roots to grow a lil more freely. It also just has a nice look to it.

Nutrient rich meaning it contains macro and micro nutrients plants need for healthy growth. Sorta like the vitamins and minerals people need to stay healthy. If I remember correctly, nutrient rich substrate like Eco-complete usually contain the necessary micro nutrients and trace elements while the macro nutrients are provided by fish poop. Don't quote me on this though. I'm not sure if that's in the right order. :?

Back
Top Bottom