Nuvo 16 Filter Setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keithjfuller

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, let me start by saying that this is my first attempt at a nano reef. I currently have a few planted tanks (which I love), but my wife and I have really wanted to start a nano reef. We have been eyeing the Nuvo 16, and my LFS store had a slightly used one for $225 (with the lights), and I ended up getting it for under $200. That was an offer I could not refuse.

So, I see that there are basically 4 chambers for the filter in the rear of the tank. 2 of them have those small 3-tier baskets, and the other two larger ones are empty. I'm assuming that one of the larger ones is where I will put my heater, but I'm not sure about the other one.

Should I stick with those stock baskets or get the larger ones from In Tank (I'd actually build them myself for about $15).

Then, what do I put in them? Like I said, I only have planted FW tanks. I have a very solid understanding of that type of system, but with SW reefs I am in the dark.

Any advice would be tremendously appreciated.

Innovative marine has started selling custom caddy media baskets which are just like the intank media baskets. They are bigger than the original and more customizable. In the other chamber you can put a nano protein skimmer. Innovative sells one that will fit there and is rated for up to 25 GPH. In the media basket, I would put filter floss first, then something like chemipure, and finish it off with some algae if you want to light it from the back or some other chemical filtration.

The original media baskets will really only fit their sponge filters, so I would go with the intank media baskets, custom caddy basket,or a DIY.

thanks for the replies. i've heard nothing but bad things about that skimmer. i've also heard most people say that a skimmer isn't really necessary on a small tank like this is if keep up with water changes. however, i have no experience with small reef tanks. a long time ago, i had a 55 gallon non-reef sw tank. i didn't know what the eff i was doing, but i had a protein skimmer, and it definitely made a difference.

I would definitely replace the original baskets though. I wouldn't trust sponge filters for a nano tank.

You may want to check out nano-reef.com their sole focus is on nano reefs and the feature tanks may help you get an idea of what you need equipment wise.

ha, i actually signed up to their forum and asked this exact same question yesterday!

Protein skimmers are for mechanical filtration and reactors won't replace all the benefits of a skimmer. However, reactors are a really good way to filter water. Carbon in a reactor makes the water really clean.

yeah, i have gotten a few. mostly repeating similar things that you've said, which leads me to believe that i'm getting good advice.

yeah, so i think i'm going to start with filter floss, carbon, and purigen then go from there. eventually, i'd like to get a fuge light and do the chaeto and rock in the larger chamber, and maybe filter floss in the other large one, with the heater in the return tank (horizontal, at the bottom).

Back
Top Bottom