o/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aelen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, my name is Chiel, 34, and I live in Amsterdam.

I'm on the verge of buying my first tank (4ft long, probably around ~300 litres) so I'm currently doing a lot of research about what I want. Both in terms of aquarium (there's quite some price differences) as well as what I will be stocking it with.

I'll be doing some sort of planted/aquascaped tank and then figuring out which fish I want as the centerpiece and then figuring out what goes along with that.

I'm pretty clueless about any of that, so if anybody has tips about where to figure out which fish I want - I'm all ears! :D

Welcome to the community. Im looking forward to seeing your tank get put together.

I would probably get an idea of what you want to keep before looking at aquascape/planting. Different fish have different preferences. Some like floating plants, some need driftwood, some would just see plants as a snackbar. Find a good local fish store and spend a bit of time looking at what they have and what appeals to you.

Link to some articles for new fishkeepers that may be helpful.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/foru...ou-get-started-with-your-aquarium-154837.html

Thank you! I actually took a look at that article even before I registered, but they appear to be broken if you are not logged in. They're working just fine now, so I'll definitely read through those!

I'm currently actually just struggling to find an aquarium that I like, since most of them seem to ship with (in my opinion) pretty ugly stands, especially at the size I'm looking for (120cm wide), that's why I intend to make my own stand which will house more than just the aquarium.

I did also pass my "local" (~30 min drive) fish store today to soak up some inspiration but it's a bit overwhelming if you don't really know what you're looking for.

First things first: I need to decide on what my "centerpiece" fish(es) will be and then take it from there. :)

When i started i just went to the fish store occasionally and started getting bits and bobs every now and again like an algae scraper, syphon hose, nets, stuff like that. Buying a few small items i needed anyway made me feel less of an interloper while having a nose round and got the ball rolling.

Yeah today I actually got a water testing kit. Not from API (which seems to kinda be the golden standard?), but one from Colombo which seems to be a Dutch brand. But it has the liquid tests rather than the strips so I reckon it's just fine. :)

I'll definitely need a BUNCH of stuff over time and today I also put in a request with them to see if they could order me the tank I was intending to order.

Soon, this ball will be a snowball rolling down a hill. :D

I can't wait!

Yeah today I actually got a water testing kit. Not from API (which seems to kinda be the golden standard?), but one from Colombo which seems to be a Dutch brand. But it has the liquid tests rather than the strips so I reckon it's just fine. :)

I wouldnt say API was the "golden" standard, more the common standard. Its relatively easy to use and read, accurate enough for the purposes most people use it for, and cost effective. It has its quirks, but as it is a commonly used kit these quirks are well known.

I looked up Colombo (definitelya dutch brand). Is it the pond test kit you got? Cant find an aquarium one. Good reviews, includes water hardness and phosphates which API doesnt include in their standard kit (you can get them separately). Only thing i would say is the 40 tests from a bottle seems a little low. For example the API ammonia test gets 130 tests from a bottle. Let us know how you get on with it though.

Ajax is my 2nd team BTW.

I have the "aqualab testlab professional" from them, it doesn't mention anything about ponds or so and the folks at the store said this will suit my needs. They also sell individual test types so once I get on with it I imagine I may need less different types of tests (once I know what my water is like).

Actually the only thing I would be lacking to test the water is something to test the chlorine contents - I believe the water in the netherlands generall does not have a lot of chlorine in it though, but rather be safe than sorry.

Sorry I don't watch football. :p

That makes sense! I was just wondering if you have to do a water change, cause ideally I'd just attach a hose to my tap and do it that way, rather than putting water in a bucket and conditioning it.

I'll have to look a bit more into the specifics of water changes :)

Before you start to refill the tank, add enough water conditioner to the tank to treat the whole aquarium and then start to refill.

That makes sense! I intend to start fishless anyway, so by the time I add fish I should only have to do like 25% or so water changes. :)

Back
Top Bottom