"OB"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OsciTheOscar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So i have here an "OB" fish. I tend to write off any OB as a peacock without really looking much into it.

My sister had purchased fish for my tank as a christmas present and there was this OB included in the 5.

I guess i never really researched much into as I've previously ignored these fish. Upon research it seems that there is a natural mutation that only really shows up in females in the mbuna species. The OB we usually see are line bred and not natural and usually are peacocks due to breeding the female OB mbuna with the aulonocara.

My question to you is would you agree with me that this looks more mbuna than aulonocara?

The face seems more rounded and wider bodied rather than the pointier thinner aulonocara face...

The body shape looks more Mbuna than peacock, I agree. I've never seen an OB Mbuna before though. Is it possible it's some type of hybrid?

The body shape looks more Mbuna than peacock, I agree. I've never seen an OB Mbuna before though. Is it possible it's some type of hybrid?
Im sure its a hybrid somehow. I only say that cause i believe that the mbuna mutation that causes the OB (from what i read) only happends in the wild. So to see it here in my tank would be pretty rare if not impossible, IMO...

Ob Africans are an mbuna/aulonocara mix, usually from the metriaclima family, that fish certainly appears more mbuna than peacock. I wasn't aware that cross usually occurred in the wild. That fish doesn't appear to be an OB hybrid

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ob Africans are an mbuna/aulonocara mix, usually from the metriaclima family, that fish certainly appears more mbuna than peacock. I wasn't aware that cross usually occurred in the wild. That fish doesn't appear to be an OB hybrid

The occurence in the wild was something i read... it IS the internet! Haha not all is true but this is why im cross checking facts on here =P

Ok, I reread the first post again and I think we're on the same page. That fish certainly doesn't show typical hybrid ob peacock traits.

It's definitely showing metriaclima phenotypes, though it may not be indicative of the true genotype. Without any lineage I know you understand
Identifying the true sp. will be impossible. I would be interested in what this fish X with pure metriaclima estherae genes would produce. It would likely show the true genetics of the fish.

Well its housed with 1 each of:
maylandia est.
Labido caer.
Melanochromis joh.
Psuedotropheus crabr.

These are all still real young so no troubles yet but i am well aware it may not work and ill be adjusting the stock later. These fish were all a package deal gift from my sister. I got home from work and they were all in my tank hahah, i almost got aggrivated but i hadnt seen my sister in 5 years before that day so i just made the best of it haha...

Anywho we'll see if it reproduces anything, ill keep you posted Exo!

"OB"

Could be an OB labeotropheus fuelleborni

Also, I'm pretty sure there's several naturally occurring OB mbuna species. Most of them are slipping me right now, not huge into Mbuna so my memory for them can lack at times

Could be an OB labeotropheus fuelleborni

Also, I'm pretty sure there's several naturally occurring OB mbuna species. Most of them are slipping me right now, not huge into Mbuna so my memory for them can lack at times
Could be, however i dont see the fat lip or the stubbier face. Not to say i wont see it as it matures.
Good look buddy!

Back
Top Bottom