Oceanic BioCube HQI 29 Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are nice tanks. I have the non HQI one. For the most part there aren't anything wrong at all with them. They are really nice all in one set ups. The only thing you hear about them are those lights really heat the tank sometimes to the point of needing a chiller. There are a lot of mods you can do and ditch the bio balls. Google inTank media basket. They make nice inserts to go in the second chamber to use other filtration in place of the bio balls.

I plan on putting live rock in the filter, & getting that light add on for the back. Does anyone know if this model does have overheating issues? Wouldn't want to have to buy a chiller for this tank but would if I had too.

Just do a quick search there are some threads on here about the heat that they can cause.

The heat is from the lights. Whether or not you need a chiller will depend on your house temp and location. Most people can get buy with fans.

Schism said:
The heat is from the lights. Whether or not you need a chiller will depend on your house temp and location. Most people can get buy with fans.

I'm in NC house is kept at 72. Is the heat from the light the only con from this tank?

I have the non HQI, heat is gonna be an issue with any bio cube IMO. I changed my stock lights out for LED's.

Even with my LED's in my BC29 my tank still hits 81+ sometimes. My heater has been unplugged for sometime now.

I have the hqi. I love it! Does get hot with the light so I keep a fan on it. And I have to keep a fan on the switch box cause it gets way hot. Everything really thrives under the light and the refugium in the back is great. A big investment but worth every penny to me :)

BigFudge said:
I have the hqi. I love it! Does get hot with the light so I keep a fan on it. And I have to keep a fan on the switch box cause it gets way hot. Everything really thrives under the light and the refugium in the back is great. A big investment but worth every penny to me :)

Glad to hear that. I guess I'll just get a fan for it and play it from there.

And I didn't like it didnt have a nighttime light so I got dark blue glass cut the size of the lid and it's perfect. But the refugium and everything is awesome to have right on your tank.

BigFudge said:
And I didn't like it didnt have a nighttime light so I got dark blue glass cut the size of the lid and it's perfect. But the refugium and everything is awesome to have right on your tank.

I have a small blue led strip I was planning on using possibly.

I plan on putting live rock in the filter, & getting that light add on for the back. Does anyone know if this model does have overheating issues? Wouldn't want to have to buy a chiller for this tank but would if I had too.

South Florida and no chiller here. I do keep my house temp around 70-72 though.

Starchar said:
What lighting is on that? I haven't seen that type before. Is that a MH?

Yeah it's not stock it was a upgrade. 150w mh 1400k and 6 white LEDs and 6 blues. All built in. Looks nice

DWilliams said:
Yeah it's not stock it was a upgrade. 150w mh 1400k and 6 white LEDs and 6 blues. All built in. Looks nice

I have that same light for my 29g standard. Current Sunpod, great light and pretty compact actually. Had it years and its worked great.

Schism said:
I have that same light for my 29g standard. Current Sunpod, great light and pretty compact actually. Had it years and its worked great.

What's the voltage of the plugs you have for LEDs? I need to replace the plugs for them.

Back
Top Bottom