Oceanic nano protien skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Huffers

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all! Just picked up a new piece of equipment for my 10 gallon nano. It's the oceanic protein skimmer. Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with this product and could give me your feedback. This is the first time I've ever used a skimmer on a nano. Will I really see the same kind of benefits that my larger tanks get from their skimmers?

I have always heard on a tank this small there is no need for a skimmer but I'm a newby and have not tried one.

You don't need a skimmer ^^^^^ your correct. If your doing your weekly water changes you'll be fine without one. Put it this way. My bio cube 29 is 9 months old and I've never emptied the skimmer cup so I unplugged it. Tomorrow during water change I'm taking it out!! It's worthless IMO in a small tank of your doing water changes every week like I do. 5 gallons every week. The skimmer never skimmed.

Now a friend of mine the 22Engine has brought to light a very interesting theory as to why my skimmer never worked right.

Bottom line. 10 gallon tank, you don't need a skimmer. If return it an get a nice coral or something. This is JMO.

^^ haha! That's funny you should say it cause that's exactly what I did! I returned it and went and got me some new zoanthids!

I bought an aqua life 115 skimmer. The first week that I had it, i thought I made a bad buy. The water in the collection cup was clear, and when I adjusted the knob, there weren't sufficient bubbles. I do 5 gal pwc to my 16 gal tank every week so people were telling me that there probably wasnt enough waste for the skimmer to work. So i decided to pulled it out and put it into storage. A month later, I gave it another chance before selling it. It was the same for the first couple of days. Then one morning, I woke up to some yellow-brown muck in the collection cup.
I have a innovative marine 16 tank, and I placed the skimmer in the main area instead of the refugium section in the back. It's an eyesore, but it does the job. I empty a yellowish brown cup every 2 days and I see solid waste in there as well. I have to rinse the cup every week because there build up of brown slime. If I move it into the back part of my tank, I wonder if I'll have the same result.

Back
Top Bottom