Ocellaris clown (wild vs. tank bred0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willyboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to SW and I am comparing A. ocellaris prices. I was going to order a tank bred one from Liveaquria.com. The fish was cheaper but the shipping made it too much. I went to a LFS and they had A. ocellaris cheaper (no shipping), but they were not tank bred. So this is my delima, spend more money on tank bred or less on wild caught. I HAVE to save money on this due to my tight budget. How much harder would it be (for a beginner) to keep a wild caught specimen healthy as opposed to tank bred specimen (acclimation, hardyness, foods accepted). Thanks in advance!

No guaranteed success with either, but I refer tank bred or raised clowns. They seem to be much more friendlier, and haven't the fear the wild caught fish may have IMO. Some even say they are less prone to disease too.

I'd say go with tank raised but if i could start over, i would get wild caught just because i want the clowns to host my anem XD

i would get wild caught just because i want the clowns to host my anem

I have heard that this is the case. Since they are tank raised, they have never seen one. This might depend on how many generations of being tank raised. FF, you might get lucky, I think someone posted it took over a year until one hosted....

I have tank raised osc. clowns which host to Xenia. I bet they'd host to an anemone if I had one :).

Another benefit of tank raised is they're are young. Wild caught could be any age, since size is never an indicator.

Back
Top Bottom