Odd Cory Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RadMax8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I came home from work today to see one of my cory cats floating upside down in the tank. No real movement, perfectly upside down. After about 30 seconds or so, he would flip over and head to the bottom. He's been doing this all night! Anyone have any ideas about what's going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That sounds like something wrong with its swim bladder. Does it seem in control of its movement?

Completely. I'd expect a swim bladder issue to result in a lot of tail up or tail down swimming. He just goes out and hangs up at the surface, when I fed the tank he ate directly from the top. Very strange!

One of my corys did that and dies about a week later it was from his swim bladder I think. Are there any fish that could have hurt him/her? Mine was caused by a dojo loach spazzing out during a storm and hitting him

Sent from peliper

Adequate vegetables can help to fix a swim bladder, I regularly feed them peas, cucumber, and romaine if this helps.

Hi Rad,
I've never personally had it happen but I have heard people have cories who learn to eat from the surface based on the behavior of other tankmates. As long as it's in control of it's swimming and movement I wouldn't worry much, just keep and eye on it and make sure it's not related to illness.

After feeding time, I didn't notice any upside down swimming. Maybe he was just hungry. I'll be keeping an eye on things for the next couple days just to see how he's doing. I'll put a piece of cucumber in tonight. Thanks!

About a year ago, one of my gold barbs had a problem with his swim bladder or something. Then I fed him some pea and he was fine the next morning!

Update: I spent a lot of time around my aquarium today and I noticed no bizarre behavior. Since feeding time on Friday, I haven't seen the Cory floating upside down. Only remarkable behavior is that they have been uprooting plants since my rescape ?

Seems to me the little guy was begging for food.

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

Had you fed veggies like blanched peas in the meantime?

I'm curious because Cories are my favorite fish and I'll be getting some for my tank soon.

~ Sent via Carrier Goldfish

I did not feed any veggies. I had meant to, but it slipped my mind. I should mention that the fish didn't look bloated or anything. Just upside down.

Back
Top Bottom