Odd Koi Behavior????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tcal01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I hav a 2-2.5in koi and he has been swimming really weird lately. It looks like he is missing fins but is growing new ones. Does anybody hav any idea what this might be?

What sizw is tank or pond size and what are tank or pond mates?

Its a 40 gallon pond with a combination of koi and goldfish all around that size. They will be moved to a bigger pond when they outgrown this one

How many fish are in this 40gal pond? I would not keep a single koi (even a baby) in a 40gal let alone mutiple goldfish & koi. Are you testing your water quality in your pond? What are your readings for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate? Missing/degraded fins is most likely fin rot & its almost always caused by poor water quality. I would really consider moving them to a much bigger home soon.

The water quality tested OK. Besides wouldn't fin rot affect the other fish too? None of them seem to be suffering from it

Tcal01 said:
Oh wow. OK. How do I treat this? Also, I will be moving the fish very soon.

Thats good to hear. Very clean and stable water conditions go a long way when it comes to treatment and prevention of fin rot. Daily PWC will most likely be required in an over stocked pond. How many fish and what kinds do you have exactly? I know with fancy goldfish (not the kind you have) need 20g for the first and 10g for every one after that. Koi, common and comet goldfish get huge! They are poop machines and need A LOT more swimming space than fancies.

I got 8 fish just from the feeder tank at PETCO. There is one koi, six r comets and I think one is a shubinkin

I know you know this but rehoming those fish ASAP will really help out with their health. I don't keep goldfish myself but I'm not even sure if you can keep one in 40g. I may be wrong though.

I know you know this but rehoming those fish ASAP will really help out with their health. I don't keep goldfish myself but I'm not even sure if you can keep one in 40g. I may be wrong though.[/QUOTE
Mumma is correct. 8 goldfish in 40gal is 8 too many! Please rehome them as soon as possible. They realistically need a minimum of a @500gal pond. Koi grow to be 36in (3ft) & can live 50yrs. The commons grow to be 12-18in & live over 20yrs. Healthy water may be enough to cure your sick fish over time-if it isnt, treating him will be tricky because you need to move him to a min of a 50gal tank for treatment.

I looked at fin rot online and it doesn't look like that. Also I have contacted someone on Craigslist who will take them. A lesson learned I guess. What could I put in a 40 gallon pond?

Is it heated? If its not heated, you would need something that can survive temp flucuations. Mosquito fish, bitterlings, or rainbow dace are some suggestions but im sure there are some other possibilities!

It is not heated but I live in California so it doesn't get too cold. I have had mosquito fish before but where could I get the other fish u mentioned?

I would try a pond store if you have one near you. If they dont have fish, they could probably suggest where you can purchase them & what else would be suitable. My local pond stores are very helpful though only 1 carries a variety of fish. You can also try online but i have never purchased a fish online before so i cant advise on that aspect. One other species to consider is a killifish-depending on type, some only grow to @2-3in & are very colorful. Good luck!

What about a Chinese high fin banded shark? I know they grow up to three feet but I had also heard that they r slow growers

Back
Top Bottom