Odd molly behaviour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DAVER

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a male ballon Molly that in the last couple of weeks has been harrassing the female Mollies. He was the lone male in a tank with 5 females. I did start with a 1 male to 2 female ratio but due to losses it ended up this way. He picked on one of our large Dalmation females but she died and he then immediately started chasing the other Damation female around constantly. He is pecking at their "rear end" constantly. Today I was at my local Big Als and asked for advice and was told to either remove the aggressor or add more males. I have just added 2 more males to the mix. (1 Dalmation and 1 Black). Is it possible that the female is pregnant and that is why he is doing this? She is really large in the belly area especially near the underside of her head. (kind of square looking). Any suggestions welcome. I am thinking of starting up my 10G to seperate the two of them.

A male can get aggressive, they are relentless at times sounds like this one is just not going to be a good boy.

It appears that the two new males I added yesterday have joined in and the female has taken to fighting back against the original male instead of running away. They are ignoring the other 4 females and picking on this 1 large Dalmation female. I have no idea what they do when they are mating so I am also wondering if this is a mating ritual. Do females give off signs thet they are ready to mate?

All the Molly females are different types. I have 3 ballon females (an orange, a balloon heart, and a brown) and 1 dalmation. There are now 3 males (a balloon heart, a dalmation, and a black). He was only picking on the dalmation which was the largest of my Mollys.

Back
Top Bottom