Odd-shaped tank... advice? Especially about glass...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhayPrower

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I will start off by saying... I am a craftsman, not an owner :p

I have a project in the works, and it's fun, beautiful, and interesting... but I need a little expert advice
biggrin.gif

I have never built a tank before... thus, I do not know much about the stresses water can put on glass, among other things. I did some conversions, and found that my tank volume will be about 276.4 gallons, give or take a tiny bit. Although this is just the first stage of design, and things may/are bound to change, as always
biggrin.gif
It may end up a bit bigger or smaller, in the final draft...

Here I have drawn and attached a kinda schematic/blueprint thingy for the tank. You can see the shape is a bit odd...

There are only 4 pieces of glass, the rest of the project is wood. There is hardwood at every corner, 2" showing, with the glass slotted about .75" into the wooden corners on all sides (so about 1.25" solid wood holding all edges, holding it together). I am also probably putting a mirror in front of the back panel, as well as lining all the wooden sides with glass as well, to keep it dry
wink.gif
But I am not too worried about any of THOSE pieces, as they will be supported by solid wood, so will doubtlessly be fine.

I am curious, mainly, what thicknesses and types of glass are best for the sides, top, and front, though. Not to mention, I am trying to figure out if the front is really possible as planned, or will I need to use three separate rectangles, with wooden supports as joiners? I would PREFER a single piece, but am prepared to bow to the inevitable, if it indeed IS inevitable :p

Please look at this outline, and let me know what you experts think? Thanks!
smile.gif

-Khay

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 138
Thanks, neilanh! :) Hopefully someone will be able to give me the benefit of their experience, eventually ;)

I'm almost positive you would need a brace around the top edge of this thing. The silicone will not hold the outward pressure. The only time I've seen a tank without an upper support is acrylic because that is one complete bonded piece of material.

tmcgee - There is solid wooden framing around all edges, including the top... the whole structure is going to be as solid as possible, much like a desk. This is actually going to be a piece of furniture with a built-in tank, in the end. Will 3" wood framing not be enough bracing?

I guess I missed that part. From the drawing, I took it that there was just going to be two pieces of glass with silicone. Anyway, that seems like enough bracing to me. Now we need to get a glass expert that can comment on how thick this glass needs to be.

Lol. I also posted this on a couple of other similar forums. People seem to be saying "at least 3/4" glass", and many are recommending using... what was it? Acrylic? instead. I am considering it :)

Back
Top Bottom