Odd snail questiom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leikela

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do pond snails only live in water? The reason I ask is that I've just confiscated a bunch from one of my tanks ready to put in my soon-to-be puffer tank in a small plastic container but it has suddenly occurred to me that they may escape before I relocate them... Is that possible? Should I put a lid on it? I'd rather not have mischievous snails wandering about my home!

I had one that was relentless with getting out. Took him 3 or four tries to learn the outside was too dry for him. Lol. (Never would get far)

Pond snails are "lunged". They can breath outside of water, but can't survive dry very long.

If they are smart, they will close up and stay moist, so that if you find them outside the tank, you just plop them back in. I did have a mystery snail that was obsessed with getting out, and did so several times. He finally made the drop from the tank to the ground... Well, I named him humpty dumpty after that :(

HalfMoon B said:
If they are smart, they will close up and stay moist, so that if you find them outside the tank, you just plop them back in. I did have a mystery snail that was obsessed with getting out, and did so several times. He finally made the drop from the tank to the ground... Well, I named him humpty dumpty after that :(

Aww that's such a cute but sad name!

Thanks for the advice, might just transfer the ones I'll need now to save the trouble of Houdini snails! I feel bad disposing of the others though :-/ Fishkeeping has certainly made me much more conscious of the sanctity of life...

Back
Top Bottom