ODNO lighting??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenmaji

Aquarium Advice Addict
Over Diving Normal Output Florescent lamps.
Since Ive seen a little information about this Im curious about the possibility now..
Someone said that they prefer the 36 watt bulbs for over diving compared to the 40 watt 48" bulbs, in a different thread, I dont understand that either..

If I remember the reference correctly, 2 24w T8 bulbs were used with the OD ballast linking the bulbs together to "fool" the ballast into "thinking" it's powering one bulb rather than two. The benefit is you will probably get a higher wattage than the normal 48w if they were stand alone.

Im reading the information from the links and they are using ballasts that are designed to run four 48" T-8 bulbs and wiring all of the leads to one T-8 or T-12 48" lamp, or two 24" lamps in series.. It is a little complicated they are talking about using the ballast to run CF and 18" lamps in series..
Im just wondering if someone had experience with this..
According to the other boards the bulbs put out 100% more light approximately (more heat less light) when 4X more electricity is applied to the bulb.. :mrgreen:

*edit*.. I was wrong about the light output I corrected this mistake in my next reply..sorry..*edit*

Putting out 100% more light (double) using 4 x the energy is very inefficient if what you are saying is correct.

Much cheaper than CF fixtures and CF bulbs.. much cheaper bulbs....
They take up less space than NO bulbs per watt..
Are they energy efficient? no not compared to cool running NO bulbs the loss of light is
from the increased heat.. cooling the fixture is suppose to help.. the one bulb puts out
6500 lumens were a normal NO bulb puts out 2000 meaning that its running at 80 watts
but it puts out the light = to 125 watts as far as watts per gallon go.. not quite 4X the
output for 4X the energy but 3.125X the light for 2X the electrical energy..
lamp life drops to 12 months... if cooled?
they do run hotter.. it says they run a little hotter than 55 watt PC bulbs, the 4' ones.
grief that was too much in one post!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm currently running 4x ODNO on my 29 gal, getting about 2.5WPG (factoring in a bit of reflection loss and not 100% efficient). Bulbs don't seem to show any slowing down. Nothing runs too hot to touch, except for the bulbs. I've got two 80mm computer fans at 4V blowing on the hood. Power usage isn't even close to 4x, according to what I could calculate. Overall, ODNO is a very good alternative to high priced lighting.

GreenMaji: sadly, I cannot answer your question. But I can let you know that it's worth it. You know my ODNO thread. That project was one of the very few that I am quite proud of and that has worked as designed longer than a month. :p

FMJnaX said:
GreenMaji: sadly, I cannot answer your question. But I can let you know that it's worth it. You know my ODNO thread. That project was one of the very few that I am quite proud of and that has worked as designed longer than a month. :p

wich question is it your refering to? the wattage bulbs thing.. I figured that one out.. the 32 watt 4' bulbs are T-8 (a little smaller in diamiter making them more effecent) if it was another question I asked.. maybe I can post the answer :p (I might have found it and forgot to post back here, I forgot about this thread.. :oops: )

yea.. this was my first post and only post here that I was asking questions about ODNO durring my original reaserch into the subject.. Ive leared alot about it since then.. :D enough to help you with your project! :D
If anyone has any questions about the application and or implementation of ODNO lighting (overdirving normal output floresent lighting) your more then welcome to post or PM me.. :mrgreen:

LOL I didn't notice the age of the post and thought it was odd that GM was asking a basic question about ODNO - you seen to be quite an expert on ODNO now! It was your threads that inspired me to try ODNO (and finding 128W ballast for $5 on ebay!)

FMJnaX said:
Nothing runs too hot to touch, except for the bulbs. I've got two 80mm computer fans at 4V blowing on the hood.

FMJnaX, How much air flow do you get from your fans? When I ran my 80mm fans at 9 volts (instead of 12) they put out a pitifully small amount of air. I would hate to imagine only 4 volts. Or maybe I have crappy fans :?

hashbaz said:
FMJnaX said:
Nothing runs too hot to touch, except for the bulbs. I've got two 80mm computer fans at 4V blowing on the hood.

FMJnaX, How much air flow do you get from your fans? When I ran my 80mm fans at 9 volts (instead of 12) they put out a pitifully small amount of air. I would hate to imagine only 4 volts. Or maybe I have crappy fans :?

I'm using some Vantec Tornado HO's. I'm getting about 25-28 CFM and about 15-18db. What I get at 4V is what most 12V case fans can get.

Everybody's ODNO doing okay after solving the heat issues? I am considering 2 15w in series, 4x ODNO over a high light 10gal, with a couple exhaust fans to help with heat.

Back
Top Bottom