Odyessea T5HO lights???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlk

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone have any experience with these lights? They seem to be reasonably priced (im on a budget) on ebay but i am confused by the descriptions- one says its a T5HO light for fw and the other T5HO light says its for coral & reefs (both are 48" with 2 bulbs). Wouldnt they be the same light or is there a difference? Im looking for optimum lighting for my fw plants & fish that i can reasonably afford! Thanks for your help!!!

If the bulbs differ, is one better or stronger than the other? They are both around the same price. Thanks!

Depends on what you are doing. If you are doing freshwater planted then you would want the 6500k-10000k range of bulbs, SW you'd want the 10000k/actinics. Some people also get actinics just for aesthetics, so it really just depends on your goal.

Reactions: jlk
Hi Jeta! This is for fw and i am learning about the different lighting options that i can afford right now because my leds are rather weak & my low lt plants are not doing so well. How does the actinics differ in appearance? I really dont which one to choose here! Thanks!

Actinics are blue, they are meant for corals.

I suggest going with the 6500k-ish bulb fixtures. I recently bought the 3 bulb 48" oddysea one off of ebay, it has 3 6500k or 6700k bulbs (cant remember), moonlights, and a digital timer. I've been impressed with it so far and it was cheap.

I just bought T5 HO's here's some pics. Coralife, colormax and actinics, there for my African Cichlid tank. I like the colors a lot. I had a marineland DB LED and felt in a 75g it just wasn't givinge enough light and not doing justice to the beautiful colors of my fish, much more happier now.

Both lights on
View attachment 63391

Colormax only
View attachment 63392

Actinics
View attachment 63393

Last edited:
Ok-i just did more looking at the lights & they offer them in combos as follows: (2) 6500k t5ho, (1) 6500k t5ho & (1) pink fw, or (1) 10000k t5ho & (1) blue actinic.....i am guessing here that 2 6500s are better than 1 10k/1 blue combo for growing a variety of fw plants? Or does the blue actinic or pink combos offer better growing?

Hi I have the same light that Jeta referred to in his post. I am also very satisfied with the light.

If you're using glass tops like me, then you will have to cut the glass a couple of inches due to the legs. If you get it, pm me and I will be happy to tell you how I made it work.

As for the bulbs, the 6500 or 6700 ( I think 6500 but I can't remember either), are what I have in mine. Actinic lights are for salt water corals and such and wont help or harm your plants. But for looks, they are pretty.

The moonlights are kinda dim, but for the price, I have no problem recommending this particular light.

Ahh I just got a Odyessea T5HO Light for my 29G FW, Ive had it for about a week. I love the Fixture honestly. I was questionable at first but I went with it. Im on a Tight Budget also, So I know the feeling. I got mine from www.aquatraders.com with Free shipping Via UPS.

2 Thumps Up So Far.

Back
Top Bottom