off topic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't see this as a chronic problem, that's all. I have been to lots of other aquarium sites where posts languish for days without a single response, not even a flame, and that does not go on here. More often than not, posts get some response within minutes.

As a site matures, becomes more organized, gets a larger member base, you start to see trends based on the feedback you get. Here the concensus has been that "I have no idea" or "Yeah, what they said" posts are not appreciated.

oh well, i think zillas wife is just trying to help! don't jump her for that. well yall have a good day, ya hear???

I'm not taking offense to anything said, and in fact, I'm a very impatient person myself. I think we have a pretty good turn around time...so it just annoys me when anyone gets critical about a post being un-answered for 20 minutes.

I can only speak for myself, but the first thing I try to do in the morning is look for posts with 0 replies. I do that throughout the day too, but at 8 am the 0 replies will be at their highest.

People also need to keep in mind that all the advisors have normal jobs, and that most of us are performing our advisor roles during normal work hours. I happen to be a computer tech, so when I'm not on the phone, I'm usually here. (this also explains why my posts are sometimes very short, or seem incomplete...I get interrupted mid-thought and just post what I was able to type...some calls last 2-3 hours)

Also, I'm not trying to single zilla/wife out as being anxious for a reply. I see it from lots of members, some new some old, many times a week. So please don't take offense...I wasn't trying to single you out.

ok ok enough of that topic. how many of you keeping fish and can still enjoy fishing. or vise verse. fishing got u into keeping fish
(TOPIC ABOVE IS DONE)

Zillia and lilfishette83, You woldnt happen to know eachother would you?

Also im not supprised that some of the advisors are posting here on this thread. Many of them spend over an hour a day on this site and have done so for a year or more. Some of them have spent significant more time here and they all try their best to respond to as many posts as they can and provide information as accurate as they feel they can offer. This is the same for many of the regular members aswell. Nearly every post will get a response within 24 hours and if a full day has elapsed and a poster hasnt gotten a response then they should feel free to 'bump' the post incase someone whom could help skipped over it. One thing that can often lead to a post not getting a response or even a look is the subject. Subjects that are vauge can often cause someone whom might know the answer to simply skip over it and move on to something else expecially if time is short.

i looked in the unanswered post and there are some that are from last month. done, thanks zilla870
let me repeat myself

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ok ok enough of that topic. how many of you keeping fish and can still enjoy fishing. or vise verse. fishing got u into keeping fish
(TOPIC ABOVE IS DONE)

On the new topic I can say this.

I used to fish as a kid but do not any more simply because of the time factor and also I dont have a local fishing hole that I can go to with out buying a license. I still eat fish and have no problem doing so.

i can eat them but having a hard time going out a fish for them know how their skin is and chances of dying if you throw them back in if to small if you hooked their side instead of mouth.

Search of topics with no replys turns up.

Number of topics with no replys: 1952

Total number of topics on this site: 50060

Percentage of topics that have no replys to date: 3.89%

Not bad for a site that turns 3 years old in 10 days.

lol thats 3.89 of unhappy people and add the fact of you get an unanswer post so you post again. oh hey they answer this one why didnt they answer the other one.
ok ok i need to stop. back to the new question. this subject need to stop its a great site i love it and just want people to get their question answer.

again
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(TOPIC ABOVE IS DONE)

Real quick comment-
Those posts might have been friviulous (sp?) posts or repeated posts that had been answered elsewhere

Other topic-
I don't like fishing... but i eat fish *nod*

this subject need to stop

when you open a can of worms, you normally expect to use them for bait. I think you did just that and got a bigger response than what you wanted.

you also assumed that the 3.89% were unhappy people....maybe, maybe not, but for a site staffed wholly by volunteer hobbiests, I think that over 96% approval rating is pretty darn good.

i can take it but i want to keep get advice not have people look at my name with post and say oh that zilla nevermind. and get no help. i was just trying to say something i noticed. and everyone had to jump me. just like you are now. and i guess you all are blind to a little helpful criticium. so ones again
TO ALL ADVISOR END OF TOPIC JUST LOCK IT PLEASE.

I think that over 96% approval rating is pretty darn good.

In addition, some of the posts where no one answered could be timing, As FF said all the advisors have job's as well as their FREE work on this site. As for me if I see a post that I CAN'T help on, I don't post, if I see a post that I can't understand because the poster has bounced all over and not made a clear point as to their question I also pass over it. I am by no means an expert on fish but I have learned alot from this site and hopefully will be able to help someone in the future as I have been helped here.

On the other topic (hijacking your own thread :roll: ), I love to fish, don't have time but love to fish just the same. Love to eat them even more. I think I could eat my weight in flounder :lol:

fishfreek said:
I for one frown on posting in posts when I have nothing useful to add.

Agreed. you do realize that as of me typing this, AA has 8375 registered members. if even 1% of those people were posting in every thread saying "i don't know" it would get a little annoying. That would be 83 posts!!

Do you see how that could be a problem?

edit: oops, just realized this was 4 pages long! first time ive ever made that mistake. :lol: . ignore me!

oh a 96% answer rate in 3 years, but who care if 3 something % get kick away.
like i said if people would read the whole post just trying to point out a small problem and all are going nuts.

i guess you all are blind to a little helpful criticium. so ones again
TO ALL ADVISOR END OF TOPIC JUST LOCK IT PLEASE.

If you look closly at the list of unanswered posts a fair number of them are posts in the classifieds or barter/trade forum. No replys means no one wants to buy or trade for what ever they are offering. In addition we have a duplicate posts forum that duplicate posts are placed into before they are perged. Finally there are many posts in the site news forum that are simple announcments that have zero replys. So 100% of that 3.89% are not posts where people are asking for help. That % is even smaller.

No one has jumped you. I was simply explaining why I don't post sometimes, If I can't help, I can't help :roll: .

hara, i think that you were just a little rude in your comment! i think that you should appoligize to zilla and his wife. they simply were trying to help, once again, this is aa and it is all about helping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so if you are a advisor, you shouldn't be mouthing off to someone who wants to help you, should ya?????
well this is becoming a cat fight now isn't it??? why don't you just go try to help someone who wants your advice??? that is to hara!!!! hope yall have a great night yall, ya hear???? bye!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom