Officially Done with Tannins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.waffles1842

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm fed up with the tannins in my water. For 10 months my water has been yucky brown. I've done a PWC and had it lighten up a bit, but it always comes bak. Im tired of it, and dont suggest active carbon. It clogged up my filter. I cou;d really use some advice.

When I switched from a fluval filter to an AC, my tannins cleared in about a week.

I like tannins, so do your fish. ;)

How could carbon clog your filter? Did you put it in there loose?

well i added some to the filter. the browness didnt dim so much. I added some more every month, and not much happened. per the instructions of the box, i should add every month. while sleeping once, i awaken to an awfully loud buzzing sound, finding an overflowing filter box and crusted filter. whats an AC?

Did you boil all your DW?

Activated Carbon might be getting used up to quickly. You can try instead Purigen, which can be recharged once used up.

I left mine soaking for a month and a half and never had any problems. Granted I had to wait all that time but just changed the water every few days to start with and reduced amount as time went on. Soon came round and water in my tank hasn't suffered.

Tannins come out faster with heat and also salt seems to be effective. For me at least. I've still got some tannin, but it gives my water a pretty yellow. Looks really vibrant and natural . Carbon appears to be useless with tannin. If you've got an extra tub soak it some more and change water frequently. I wouldn't do any salt or heat with moss on it though.

My last piece I put in the dish washer without soap. No harm to the dish washer. I then soaked it for 2 days changing the water in the morning and before bed. No tannins leaked in the tank

Tannins come out faster with heat and also salt seems to be effective. For me at least. I've still got some tannin, but it gives my water a pretty yellow. Looks really vibrant and natural . Carbon appears to be useless with tannin. If you've got an extra tub soak it some more and change water frequently. I wouldn't do any salt or heat with moss on it though.

So you are saying i should add some salt to my aquarium and that will get the tannins out? Never heard of that. BUt hey, ill try anything.

So i have a real pickle here... I loathe to clone the moss. It took me forever to get it to take root. I need come advice here guys. How can i make the moss safe? If push comes to shove ill find someway to get those tannins off melting my moss, but id prefer to not. it was a gift from a friends aqaurium. Could i possibly clone the moss? I dont know much about that unfortunately. Anyone have any expirience in this?

I have had great success with purigen. My tannins disappeared within a couple of days and the water looks crystal clear.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom