Oh boy, here we go. Help needed please ---> sick comet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadylady23

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys,

Once again, I'm in need of some help. I don't really know what's going on but in the past couple weeks I've slowly lost all my corycats. I figured maybe cause my ph is higher than they prefer or something since everyone else in the tank seemed fine. (Including baby platys) Well... Today I noticed my comet goldfish kinda floating around and not being himself, so I did a 50% water change hoping he would spunk up. Last water change I did was 9 days ago, 50%. Other than that I always do it every 7 days.
Found a bunch more baby platys in the tank today, so I'm thinking if it was nitrates they wouldn't be alive. The comet seems like his gills aren't working properly and gasping every so often. Now he's just kinda floating... I put him in QT, but I don't know where to go from here.

One other fish (mom platy) has a spot on its head I noticed today, to me it looks like an injury, it already looks less puffy so I don't know if it's related.

I put some Quick cure in QT, which is formalin, malachite green, but I don't even know what I'm treating, just thinking it's a parasite..? I've looked over everyone in the tank, I see nothing weird other than the platy which I THINK is an injury. But at the same time losing my corycats make me wonder if somethings lurking. Any suggestions? Please help fast my comet is gasping! Also, when I add the quick cure it seems as though the silicone tubing just soaks it all up, will it still be effective? Or should I add more? Water turns back clear again.

Current parameters:
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5
Ph. 7.2

What kind of test kit are you using?

What temp is the water at?

What size tank is it?

Ok... water params look good. Temp is on the low side but should be fine... especially since you are keeping a goldfish with tropical fish.

I would guess parasite or bacterial infection since multiple fish are having issues. It sounds like the goldfish could also have another, separate issue. How often/what are you feeding?

How big is the comet? Is he bloated? Are the scales sticking out?

Godlfish fed tropical flakes tend to develop gut problems, which will interfere with the swimbladder, causing the balance issues. Another possibility is a bacterial infection affecting the swimbladder. Parasites is lower down the list.

Is the fish still eating? If so, you can try feeding some peas to clean out the gut. <Blanched, shelled & chopped.> This will do no harm so is worth a try in case he has a simple gut problem (gas or indigestion).

In the absence of external spots suggesting external parasites, Quick cure is not indicated. I would certainly NOT put any more in, regardless of the water color. <The Malichite green is broken down by light, but the formalin remains ... so you will have a formalin overdose if you add more based on water color.>

If the fish is actually looking sick - ie very lethargic, rapid breathing, etc - I might try some antibiotic food. In the meantime, keep the water parameter pristine. <I would do daily 50% pwc in an uncycled hospital setup.>

He doesn't look bloated to me, when he was swimming he looked good. . i got him a few months ago, he's About 2 inches i guess. idk if he will eat. Is there an antibiotic that will work in the water? Should i change out the water with the quick cure? I dont think he's gonna make the night, he's just laying there...:(. . Can bacteria affect their gills? His fins are getting a little tatted. Color still good though and he's looking around. Poor thing.

No luck, he didn't make it. Man, whatever it was it sure was FAST. Just yesterday morning he was swimming basically normal, just kinda lazy, still eating and not too bad. By the end of the day he was just laying there gasping. I hope something's not in the tank... What do I do now? The one platy with the spot on his head is already almost back to normal, so again, I'm really thinking it's an injury. Is there any preventative measures I should take? Or just watch everyone closely?

Thanks!! :)
Mary

Sorry for your loss.

I think there is something else lurking based on all the history. Keep careful watch for anything unusual with your fish.

I happened to be at petco today buying light bulbs and she thought it was from "over cleaning" my tank. I don't know if this is possible, but she said because I change 50% once a week it will remove beneficial bacterial at a high rate and thus stresses the fish out. My syphon is so fast, by the time I get done it's half gone. I think I will do half the rocks at a time to try to reduce how much I'm replacing. Do you think this could cause this problem? She also sold me some Coppersafe to use as a general treatment for when I put a fish in QT and dont know what to do.. Is this stuff any good?

Totally false on the water changes. The vast majority of the bacteria is not in the water. It is in the filter, and in the substrate. I keep some of the most sensitive animals for fw tanks, and routinely change 50%+ of the water multiple times per week. Take any advice you get from petco with a grain of salt.

Not sure on the coppersafe... what is it, and what does it claim to do? Not sure I would just add anything as a general catch all (besides prime) to any tank...

Says chelated copper sulfate. says for ich velvet, and parasites. I'm so confused how to diagnose fish illnesses... Ich is easy, but how do you know others? And in my situation, how would I treat if I don't know what's wrong? Ugh, I'm trying though, I've come a long way...;-)

When all else fails, change the water. Never treat your tank until you are sure of what is wrong. If you don't know, ask.... we can at least try to help.

for illness.. symptomatic.

You want to test your water though pretty consistently at the first sign of anything wrong... clean water is the cure (or part of the cure) for just about every illness out there. If you have ammonia or nitrite present, or nitrate that is through the roof, it will contribute significantly to poor health of your fish.

Back
Top Bottom