Oh No! My AC is out!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnkristie

Aquarium Advice Freak
My air conditioning in the house went out yesterday and we are in the midst of a heat wave. My house and aquarium are up to 85 degrees. I'm afraid I might start to lose fish if it gets any hotter. I've got a FOWLR about 250 gal. I don't have a chiller 'cause in San Diego we really don't need it. I put fans on the top to help evaporate some of the heat out, but it doesn't help much. What can I do? HELP!!! :(

I've floated a bag of frozen peas in the tank before to help in a situation similar to that... ice cubes... I'm not sure though other than that...

Are you gong to fix the ac or buy a new one? Can you purchase a small ac in the meantime? Can you borrow chiller from a reef club? What about renting a chiller from an lfs? <--You'd be surprised ;)

I agree with Mike...some fans blowing across the tank and reduced photo period will do the trick until you can get the AC fixed or replaced.

Keep in mind that 85 is not too far out of range. While not ideal, most fish and inverts can tolerate this temp for a short period of time. The key is to not over-react and drop the temp too quickly. This will cause more stress on the livestock then the 85 degree temp itself. The idea of a fan blowing across the surface of the tank is about the best option for you (convection cooling) if you run a tank without a cover. You can also cut your lights out during the hottest time of the day.

Some fans and a gallon zip lock filled with ice. If you have good flow then it will help water from getting to high.

But i think in a FO tank it shouldnt be to bad as long as you dont cook them. MMM with butter MB.

Thanks guys for all the advice. The fans cooled it slightly by about a degree. The AC is fixed now and the tank is running a cool 79 degrees. :)

Back
Top Bottom