Oh no!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shankss69

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I will try to explain my situation as best as possible :)

I noticed last night one of my dalmation mollies has Popeye...eeek... this is the first time i have ever seen this!... this morning i went to the local pets store to have them test my water... nitrates where high... i have read probably 100 posts and articles on popeye and how to treat it etc etc...i did almost a 75% water change and bought melafix for the popeye and seachems Prime for the high nitrate.. i treated the tank and went to work and just came home and tested the water with a quick test strip made by mardel it is telling me my nitrates are at 40mg/L (?)... should i double the dosage on the prime and continue doing water changes everyday?...and should i leave my filter run?... these are probably stupid questions but i plan on eventually upgrading my tank and i need to learn about these situations so i know how to take care of them in the future...

thanks for your time!

If it were me.... and JMO.

I'd stop medicating with anything and concentrate on clean water. I'd save up for a liquid test kit and a python. Pima/Melafix is a better preventive treatment than a real treatment for anything.

Yes, water changes everyday (no need to double dose the Prime) are a good thing for now.

Can you tell us more about your tank? Size, fishies, when set up, etc.

Does this help at all to explain? http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

Welcome to AA! :)

29 gallon tall it has been set up for well over 2 and a half months now i have
2 dalmation mollys
2 mickey mousy platy
1 sunburst platy

i am using an aqueon fourstage 20 quiet flow pump with aqueon filters

could it be that i didnt let it cycle when i first set it up that the nitrates are at 40m/L??

and is it a good idea to buy an air pump? i currently do not have one

i also have been using my gravel vac to clean the gravel obsviously...and use it to remove water... i will deff. be buying a python because it would make my life just way easier! haha

i have rread that API has a very good liquid test kit... is this true?.. i looked at them today but could not find one for all nitrates..nitrites..ammonia.. it looks like the kits are all seperate for each?

Actually, if it's been set up that long, you're past the worst. :) Get a good kit, the strips are not accurate. API's FW Master kit contains all four and should be available for around $20. An air pump is usually aesthetic. Most tanks don't actually need them.

Feed less, change water more and you will be fine.

i will try what u said..keep water clean ..no medications..feed less.. i will try this for the next few weeks and see if this helps.. if i run into any more problems i will post...thank you HN1 for your help i am going to the pet store now to buy a liquid kit....how often should i use the prime if the nitrates do not go down?

i will try what u said..keep water clean ..no medications..feed less.. i will try this for the next few weeks and see if this helps.. if i run into any more problems i will post...thank you HN1 for your help i am going to the pet store now to buy a liquid kit....how often should i use the prime if the nitrates do not go down?

Use Prime to treat new water. Nitrate will go down with water changes... 50% change = 50% nitrate reduction - any in your source water. Accurate results are a very good starting point. Until then, it's really just speculation on my part.

To add on, Prime detoxifies stuff and helps out, but you will still get a false positive reading for them. The Prime binds to them, I think of it like a bubble around the baddies, but they still show up on your tests.

well today the molly died :( but now i have noticed unusual behavior from the other fish!... swimming erratically laying on bottom of tank and hiding or just sitting in the corner rarely moving thier gills at all!.. they have never usually acted this way... what could be causing this now?!

Sorry to hear about your Molly. :( Did you get a chance to test your water w/ the new liquid test kit? If not, that would be a high priority IMO since you lost a fish and you were accustomed to using test strips.

Also, if you added Melafix, your fish could be deprived of oxygen. My fish acted the same way when I added Melafix to my tank the first time. I immediately turned on my mid-tank aerator to help increase the oxygen in the tank. There was an immediate improvement and they returned back to normal swimming/breathing within a few minutes.

If you don't have any airstones or a bubble wand, you can always drop the water level in your tank and the increased splashing from your filter will help by adding oxygen to the water. This is just a short-term remedy though and IMO I would suggest getting a pump and air hoses in the tank.

But honestly, since your Molly has passed on and if no other fish have any injuries and such, I would cease using Melafix, perform a pwc, and replace the carbon in your filters, (that is if you use carbon and had removed it before adding Melafix).

Don't replace the carbon, it could cause a mini-cycle, which you don't need right now.

Keep up with those water changes and get that Master API test kit.

All the fish could have various bacterial or fungal infections from high nitrates in the water.

So adding an air pump will actually help with everything?.. I will be doing that soon then!.

Never had a chance to get the liquid test kit because the pet store was all sold out!...but i will also be getting a api fw master kit soon!

I had removed the filter when i added the melafix and left it run for about 12 hours with no filter...

today when after i posted i did a 50% water change and also change the filter in the tank and it actually seemed to help a little. I also retested the water with the strips and its showing the water is a little on the hard side and the nitrates are still at 40mg/L. (now i do not know how correct this info is) but the lady at the petstore said most peoples water up here is actually harder then the south.. and that 40mg/L isnt too too bad but to keep up with the water changes.

i would just hate to lose more fish because i am doing something wrong.

ALSOO!! one more question....how often should i change my gravel and would this help with the nitrates/nitrites if i just completely change the water and gravel but not wash the tank to keep the good bacteria in the tank..?? or would that make me have to wait for a cycle again?

(just saw ur post mudraker) - well then i guess i messed up a little then being that i changed the filter! *ugh*

Mudraker, if you don't replace the carbon in the filter directly after a pwc, when would be the best time to do it? Just wondering because I did extensive research on Melafix, (mainly because nobody gave me input on one of my threads about it), and my suggestions to the OP were based on what others have done.

I would really like to know if you had ever experienced a mini-cycle from adding the carbon too soon to your filter after using Melafix? I am only on the 2nd day of treatment to correct a problem w/ my Neon Tetra. If a mini-cycle is possible, like you stated, I would like to know more so I don't chance making a mistake by adding my carbon too soon.

Adding new carbon usually means adding a whole new piece of filter media, and most of your good bacteria lives on your filter media. Carbon is replaced to remove the Melafix when you are done treating.

okay then so changing the filter was not really a bad thing seeing that the fish i was treating had died :( and i do not need to continue the use of the melafix... now i need to figure out the current situation with the fish acting wierd...

i think i will be buying a small hospital tank here in the near future instead of treating my entire tank just treat the hospital tank...:rolleyes:

So adding an air pump will actually help with everything?.. I will be doing that soon then!.

Never had a chance to get the liquid test kit because the pet store was all sold out!...but i will also be getting a api fw master kit soon!

I had removed the filter when i added the melafix and left it run for about 12 hours with no filter...

today when after i posted i did a 50% water change and also change the filter in the tank and it actually seemed to help a little. I also retested the water with the strips and its showing the water is a little on the hard side and the nitrates are still at 40mg/L. (now i do not know how correct this info is) but the lady at the petstore said most peoples water up here is actually harder then the south.. and that 40mg/L isnt too too bad but to keep up with the water changes.

i would just hate to lose more fish because i am doing something wrong.

ALSOO!! one more question....how often should i change my gravel and would this help with the nitrates/nitrites if i just completely change the water and gravel but not wash the tank to keep the good bacteria in the tank..?? or would that make me have to wait for a cycle again?

(just saw ur post mudraker) - well then i guess i messed up a little then being that i changed the filter! *ugh*

When using meds and/or increasing the temp of your water, oxygen will decrease. So yes, air should be added to your tank during treatment.

As far as removing your filter media completely... the filter media should remain in your filter. You just needed to remove the carbon from the filter media so that the meds can circulate through your tank.

Also, keep in mind that I'm giving you advice based on my own experience with a similar situation to what you're dealing with and others will have good advice too. :D

Edit: I didn't see your question about changing your gravel. Good bacteria is in your tank, including your gravel, so you should consider purchasing a gravel vacuum.

A+ Lump

Also, a hospital tank is always recommended if you can pull it off. But definately keep up those water changes until your nitrates are under good control.

Keep a close eye on the rest of your fish, especially if they are acting a little off and the other fish died.

You may want to look at a real medication for the fish, rather than a remedy such as melafix.

And don't change the substrate, it also is home to some of the beneficial bacteria your tank needs to be healthy. Do vacuum it and keep it clean.

Shankss, if it was my tank, and I had no fish left, I would empty the whole thing out and clean EVERYTHING, just to be on the safe side. You can use a 10:1 vinegar solution for cleaning, rinse a bunch, then air dry.
I would recommend a fishless cycle before getting more fish too, you will save yourself a ton of water changes. ;)

P.S. I love Melafix and Pimafix, I use it for all my sick fish, except the bettas.

I like melafix too, but sometimes with seriously bad bacterial infections you have to go use a stronger antibiotic. Its not a good idea with fresh carbon though. It can kill off BB.

Thats why carbonless filter media is best for a healthy tank. You only keep some on hand to use after treating with meds.

Back
Top Bottom