ohcanada's 4 gallon first attempt at a teeny tiny tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ohcanada_00

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So the bug bit. The bug bit hard. I went from staring at pretty fish in the store and catching pretty fish in a lake to all of a sudden deciding to start a tank. It took mere days to get hooked. In any event, two months later, I have four tanks and love this awesome hobby!

I was captivated the other day by a Dwarf Puffer at my LFS and after talking to the owner of the store for a while, decided I needed one. I thought about it for all of twelve seconds, lol.

Anywhoo, Petco was having a clearance on the Evolve4 when I got there so I decided to give it a shot as I only wanted to keep the puffer by his or her lonesome.

I've never done a planted tank and only have a small handful of plants in my other tanks. I went to the local used bookstore after Petco and got a book on aquatic plants. (so far so good right?)

Now a week later, I have a tank that I tried 'instant cycling' with Colony from ATM. I had read some reviews and the guy at my LFS said if I wanted to try and instant start tank, that their product was pretty good and he'd feel comfortable selling me a puffer if I cycled it and had good readings a week or so later.

So I get home, find a lava rock I bought and didn't use for another tank, pour some sand in, put the marble (personal significance for me) in and then headed back to LFS for plants and plant advice. I decided to try a mix of root tabs, Flourish and Excel instead of jumping right in to CO2. So this is the current state of my tank:

75465-albums12097-picture54537.jpg

thanks! The corkscrew val came from DantheGuppyMan just today! I'm pretty stoked how its coming out.

On another note, bought another tank tonight. Going to try my hand at a 20 Gal Long for an Iwagumi style tank with a dry start. I'm so hopelessly hooked on this hobby! I mean I'm already planning my fish for a tank I wont be able to put fish in for maybe three or more months!!!!!! Epic.

I'm right there with you. I'm trying to hold myself back from buying a 40 gallon breeder to try my hand at a saltwater tank. Doesn't help me that my local petco is having a dollar-per-gallon sale...

yeah, that dollar per gallon sale has cost me a new 10g and the new 20g long.... ;) If I wasn't potentially moving in a few months that 55g would be MINE!!!!!!!

My Val's looking immaculate lol. Nice little tank! I always wanted an evolve...haha. And psh, that "bug" bit me a long time ago! working on getting my...5th tank planned when I am yet to perfect my 3rd haha. Keep it up man :D

SO finally decided on fish. Got four little glow light tetras for the tank, a red onion snail and some ghost shrimp. I know the Tetras will be a bit much for the tank but thats okay, I wanted to get fish in there and my 14g will soon be empty and the perfect home for them. For the next month or two though, they will look spectacular! i wil post a pic soon.

Back
Top Bottom