oil or protein on water surface ??!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danny

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello
i have SW tank its 25 days old , no fish till now ,its 39 Gal (39x15.7x17.7) tank with sand bed 2,5in , 24 lb live rock , protein skimmer ,external filter 600 L\h about 158 G\h, internal filter 960 L\h about 253 g\h , 150 W 14K Metal halide..
and i have problem that there is something like oil or protein on water surface is it normal or not & if any one have any advice about my tank plz tell my :kiss:cuz its my first SW tank ...THX :)

Danny

i had this issue when I didnt have enough surface agitation. Solved by having either a PH pointed towards the surface or an overflow box.

btw you'll want more LR. recomended is 1-1.5lbs per gallon.

As stated above a PH pointed slightly to the surface should take care of it. I have place a paper towel on the surface and quickly pulled it out and it took alot of it with it.

oky i will try the PH idea ,,
Thx Bryan & Mike for ur help

Danny

something I have done is cut a gallon water jug in half and push it down into the water so that just a small stream of water is running over the edge and into the jug. This will pull only water from the surface thus taking in all the oil and whatever else is there. After that adjust your powerhead for more surface agitation.

also I have found if aerosols; ie airfreshners, deodorant or polish is used in the close vincinity of the tank it hangs in the air and leaves a film on the water, just use a paper towel lay it on the surface and quickly pull it out so it doesnt sink

Back
Top Bottom