OK...Absolutely last tank overhaul!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bidgette

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just completed a(nother) tank overhaul! Promised my fish that this would be the last time I messed with them for at least a year! (I don't think they believed me......)
:D

When I first set up my 30 gallon, I wanted live plants, but I didn't realize I wanted a "Planted" tank! My plants were doing wonderfully! Not so when I changed over to my new 55 gallon tank....sigh......

Anyway, removed the underground filter, but didn't have enough lights to power the plants. Also lacked nutrients, so......

Replaced the gravel with Eco-complete. Tried to create a sort of gravel path through the tank to add interest.

Added a canopy. Upgraded lighting from 1 x 40w 6500K to 2 x 30W 10000K.

So, now, I have

Tank volume 55 gallon
Tank dimensions LxDxH 48 x ? x 18
Watts 2 x 40W T12 Coralife 10000K
Lighting level ?????? would this be a medium light? The lumen calculator says it's 4.09... lumens/sq inch

Here's what it looks like now......please disregard the sloppy heater and the bubble wall in the back. There are some adjustments that still need to be made to the canopy.

It's still cloudy, but that should go away soon. Also have a few more plants, but needed the majority of the cloudy to go away so I could finalize placement.

Still want to add.....Fuval canister filter, instead of the penguin biofilter. Possibly a co2 setup first of next year. Have to see......

Thanx for your help and advice over the last couple of months.

clh

2973660549_01dd2fd0d6.jpg

2974515490_ef3975cff3.jpg

I don't believe you either, so Im with the fish :)

Looks good. That lighting level would be low-medium IMO. If you decide to take the plunge into CO2, stash away for some more lighting as well, it will greatly open up your plant options.

Very sharp looking setup. It's going to look nice.

I might move the large sword plant on the left in from the edge a little bit because it is going to need a little more growing room down the line.

I like the look of the tank but I think the sword needs to be moved away from the glass to get more light. I'd put it by the base of the leg of the driftwood where the two smaller plants are in the last picture. Put it as close the the wood as you can get it while still leaving a little space for the fish to swim through. Then gently fan out the leaves of the sword.

lmao...i gotta admit, ive been tellin my fish the same. GOOD LUCK!! HA HA HA
oh, looks good btw

Looks good! I used to overhaul my tanks quite often....and made my fish pretty mad, but lately I've been leaving them alone. :D Its getting about time to overhaul atleast one of my tanks though.

I like the Eco Complete. And that Sword is gorgeous.

Thanx for all the suggestions. This is what I decided on, (at least for now!)

I moved the wood over, and left a tunnel underneath between it and the rocks.
I moved the big sword over, thanx to hpt84 for sending it....and Hogie for buying it for me!....I didn't like the wood next to it.

I'll still have taller plants in the left side, i think, i just don't know what or when.

anyway, this is the before and after....

BEFORE
2973660549_01dd2fd0d6.jpg

AFTER
2974926113_c051376106.jpg

Back
Top Bottom