ok, Im ready to try again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jherr

Aquarium Advice Regular
Unfortunately, my failure to have a QT tank has cost me my last two tanks (first was a tank with angels that I had running for about a year, followed by my new tank with some tetras).

Yesterday with the loss of my last surviving fish, I emptied out the tank and cleaned it with 1/9 beach/water solution. I rinsed all the decor in very hot water, and threw out the gravel, as well the UGF. I want to try pool filter sand in my next attempt, because it looks more natural. I've never really done a proper fish-less cycle, and I want to make sure I get this right. Basically, I fill the tank with water, and throw a raw shrimp or two in there and let nature take its course for a couple of weeks till the parameters are right?

I also ordered 2 penguin 150b filters for my 29 gal to replace the cascade 150 I was using, and I cleaned up my 10 gal that I had laying around to use as a bare QT. I have a small HOB filter on my 10 gal, should I just hang it on the 29 gal till I need to use the QT (instant cycle), or would you recommend using a sponge filter better? Im not too sure about having 3 HOBs on a 29 gal, might be overkill, heh.

One last question, I read it's good to get some MTS to shift the sand around, but some fish eat them 8O . I want to turn the 29 gal into a community tank with tetras, corys, and rainbows. Do these fish tend to eat the snails like cichlids do? Do I wait till the cycle is complete to add the snails in?

Sorry for the long read, I just want to make sure I get this right!

Basically, I fill the tank with water, and throw a raw shrimp or two in there and let nature take its course for a couple of weeks till the parameters are right?
Just make sure the water has dechlorinator in it. :D And yes, that would be correct. I'd test the levels every other day or so, just to make sure the cycle is beginning.

Regarding the filters, you could just have 1 filter on the 29 gal tank. Why are you putting two on it? One of the Penguin's is enough for your tank. You could also just use a Penguin 200B in place of the 150. That is, if you are wanting to overfilter. This way you don't have three filters on the tank. Then you could just hang the 200B and the Cascade on the tank at the same time then when the QT is needed, put the Cascade on the QT. Like you said, instant cycle. I personally use a sponge filter on my QT. But that's just because it's cheap.

You won't need to worry about the MTS getting eaten. They burrow most of the time. Cichlids will definately eat them, but community fish, I don't think will touch them. You don't need to wait until the cycle is complete to add them to the tank.

BTW- After checking on the stats of the Cascade, it may be a little too powerful for the 10 gal tank, depending on what will be QT'd. It has the capacity to filter a 40 gal tank. Why don't you just use the Cascade on your 29 gal and buy a sponge filter for the QT, instead of the Penguins? It'll save you money that way. HTH

I wasnt really impressed with the Cascade filter, which is why I ordered the Penguins. The 10 gal came with a small Marineland Primo filter, which is what I may just keep running on that one, unless I do switch to the sponge system.

Ok. But you really don't need two of the Penguin's on the 29 gal tank. One is enough. What do you plan on stocking?

Fishyfanatic said:
Ok. But you really don't need two of the Penguin's on the 29 gal tank. One is enough. What do you plan on stocking?

A few tetras, cory cats, rainbows.

Those fish are not overly messy, so I don't think you need to overfilter the tank. One of the filters is enough.

I purchased the sand, and the filters get here tommorow, so I'm just about ready to begin cycling the tank.

Since I will be using a HOB with a sand substrate, should I place something over the intake to prevent clogging? If so, what do you guys recommend?

What kind of sand did you buy?

You can put a sleeve over the intake tube for a while, until the sand completly settles. We used a tube of filter floss that goes on a canister filter. But now that it's all settled, we don't use anything.

Fishyfanatic said:
What kind of sand did you buy?

You can put a sleeve over the intake tube for a while, until the sand completly settles. We used a tube of filter floss that goes on a canister filter. But now that it's all settled, we don't use anything.

i bought some pool filter sand over at a pool supply store since I read on here some people had good success with it.

You shouldn't have issues with floating sand with the pool filter sand. That's what I used and it settled before I had the heater and plants in place.

I haven't had any problems with my pool filter sand floating around or getting sucked into the filters or anything, and I use PFS in 3 of my tanks. I don't use prefilters either. I really think you'll like it. :D Just make sure you rinse it before you put it in the tank. I rinsed mine in a bucket, filling the bucket about 1/3 of the way with sand and putting the bucket under the bathtub faucet. I swished the sand around with my hands and dumped off the water over and over until it ran clear. It didn't really take as long as I thought it would.

I had expected that it would take a good 30 min per bucket, but it took about 15 min or so and I didn't have any cloudiness whatsoever.

How much pool filter sand would you use for a 50 gal tank? I'm really interested in using this for my own tank when I move.

It depends on what the dimensions of the tank are, and the depth that you want the sand. I'd start with a 50 lb bag and just go from there. We used 75 lbs in the 55 gal tank, but only 110 in the 150 gal tank. Just put enough in until it looks about right to you.

i put the whole 50 lb bag in my 29 gal, lol

It's about 3 inches thick in some parts. Took about 2 days for the water to clear up after I put it in, even after rinsing it a bit. Oh well, I dont have any fish in there yet, so its not a problem. Tommorow I'll be adding all the decors and throwing in the dead shrimp to begin the cycle. I gotta test the water too just to make sure I dont have to dechlorinate it.

Alright, here's an update. I tested the waters and got these results:

Ammonia - 0.50 ppm
pH - 7.6
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 0 ppm

I dunno why the pH is so high, maybe the sand? I'd like to get it lowered before the cycle is thru, but Im not really sure how.

Anyways, here's some pics of how it's looking atm, including the dead shrimp that will begin the cycle.

Attachments

• hhaqua101.jpg
    hhaqua101.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 38
  • hhaqua102.jpg
    hhaqua102.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 30
I don't see your pH as being high. Why are you worried about it? The sand won't cause your pH to increase unless it has crushed coral or limestone (or similar stone) in it. What kind of sand is it?

It's pool filter sand so it shouldnt have anything in it. I guess its fine then. I thought tropical fish requiered a lower ph, somewhere in the upper 6s?

Pool filter sand will not affect your pH. Some fish like their pH in the 6's, but it is not a MUST with most of them. What kind of fish are you going to try to ultimately keep? Plus, a stable pH is better than a perfect pH. If you try to get a perfect pH with pH down and other chemicals, all you will do is cause pH swings. To try and naturally lower it, you could try putting driftwood in the tank. That will lower it some, but a pH of 7.6 is fine. It's when you get near 8 where you MAY have issues, but not necessarily. Just don't put any kind of crushed coral or limestone in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom