Ok last questions till I plant ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
Amazing how much this has evolved with your input ...

Questions ...

1 - Is it wise to put jungle vals (Val. Americana) in front of a hob filter? I am concerned they'll get too beaten up or stick to the intake. It's a 200 gph hob.

Oops, hit "post" too early ... I'll have to post pics below after I finish editing ...

2 - Where in this tank would the power head be best placed? It's a 175gph I think.

3 - Can I cut moss "mats" into pieces? These are stainless mesh, so I'm thinking wire cutters. I'm buying three 3x3 mats and I want to cut them into irregular shapes to distribute here and there.

4 - Is there something I can put around the intake on the filter to prevent the plants from reducing the flow, when their leaves stick to it? There's nylon stocking around the bottom but it's the middle one, where floating plants often stick. When they do, they stop the biowheel from turning due to reduced flow.

5 - Any other big no-nos in the placement below? (pics in a minute)

Layout ...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406947225.196906.jpg. (Cw is crypt wendtii red, cu is crypt undulata).

The rocks.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406947283.973586.jpg

Going to go with low light, keeping current sand and gravel substrate, adding root tabs, dosing excel, equilibrium, and a few dry ferts per Tom Barr's non co2 method (in which he ups the dry ferts when using excel).

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Amazing how much this has evolved with your input ...

Questions ...

1 - Is it wise to put jungle vals (Val. Americana) in front of a hob filter? I am concerned they'll get too beaten up or stick to the intake. It's a 200 gph hob.

Oops, hit "post" too early ... I'll have to post pics below after I finish editing ...

2 - Where in this tank would the power head be best placed? It's a 175gph I think.

3 - Can I cut moss "mats" into pieces? These are stainless mesh, so I'm thinking wire cutters. I'm buying three 3x3 mats and I want to cut them into irregular shapes to distribute here and there.

4 - Is there something I can put around the intake on the filter to prevent the plants from reducing the flow, when their leaves stick to it? There's nylon stocking around the bottom but it's the middle one, where floating plants often stick. When they do, they stop the biowheel from turning due to reduced flow.

5 - Any other big no-nos in the placement below? (pics in a minute)

1. I put my rotala rotundifolia near my filter intake, some did stick to it. I would keep them all a few inches away.

2. Place it near the heater imo so the flow will cover the tank fully.

3. Yes I'm sure you can.

4. I don't know sorry. There are foam filter sleeves online but I don't think that would help much.

5. Looks good. I don't know how well moss will carpet though.

I am sure you're right I don't think the moss will carpet. I just don't want it to be in squares, lol. I'll buy more now and then, 3x3 for $10 locally.

I am thinking of those mesh kitchen drain strainer things around the filter intake ... If only they weren't silver. I may try a sponge. I really want them to hide the intake and to scrape the black paint off the back.

How easily bruised are vals? The current makes me think of what wind does to some of my land plants. Some can take it some can't.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom