Ok now I'm worried...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinES

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I have a 55 Gallon that I am just kind of letting run out because most of the tetras have reached the end of their life but now I am noticing some unusual stuff...
Ok it had black neons, glowlights, neons, phantons, red phantoms, cories and gold tetras all hitting about the 3 year mark. They have been dying out which I expect. I also have had my serpae and colombian tetras dying out after 2 years (the first few months of their life was not great.) None of this seemed weird but now I am getting worried...I went up there a few minutes ago and saw my big angel was dead. He was probably 3-4 inches in diameter. He was about 3 years old...then about a month ago my big female bristlenose pleco was dead. Both of these fish should have lived longer than that...What is weird is some of the more sensative fish are still alive...My royal Pleco, my other bristlenose, my Congo tetras, my 3 YoYos and my clown loach.
I'm not really sure whats going...I would think if the water quality is bad the more sensitive fish would be the ones dying...
I am mostly worried about my Royal Pleco...I don't want to lose him...I have a 29 set up and it should be cycled. Should I move him into that?
I expected my small tetras to die out but not a 3 year old angel fish...

And maybe I should mention my wife's 20 gallon just lost 2 gold fish in the last week. She had 3 in there and they have all been sluggish for a while. I figured they were low on oxygen...honestly I just want the stupid things gone...
A minute ago though I just pulled a dead neon out of the 5 gallon...He was the biggest and oldest (3 years) so maybe he was just old but that's 3 different tanks in a week...maybe my water source is bad?

It doesn't sound right for 3 tanks to have that much die off.

Remember that most life expectancies are within the 2 year range, but some tetras are longer (neon tetra - depending on whether they are hardy or not though).

When did you last perform a partial water change and what are your husbandry practices? Are you fairly routine with pwc;s? Are you cleaning the filters while you do these water changes? Do you have any test kits to check for the basics (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate)?

If the 29 gallon is indeed cycled and verified with your test kits, then I would quarantine off the royal pleco. However, since this is also happening in your wife's tank, most likely the water problem is in the 29 gallon too.

Perform water tests on all tanks and let us know what the results are.

It isn't at all unheard of for water companies to change how they are treating their water without notifying customers. If they were using chlorine before, they may have switched to chloramine. In this case if you are using a declorinator that only treats for chlorine, then it can cause major problems. There are lots of other changes that they sometimes make, that can also cause havoc in our aquariums.

I took some water in today and it looks like the PH was off. That's the 1 testing kit I don't have...I did a 75% water change and switched out half the filters today.

Back
Top Bottom