Ok so i have a dumb question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wiggles24

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a 20 gallon with one of those stupid preset heaters. Never really has done well keeping the temperature and now that it is getting cold it really isn't keeping temp. I have an extra heater for a larger tank that I was thinking about using until I can get a different heater for mymy 20.

Grrrrr idk why my phone does that but anyways my thought is that even if its meant for a bigger tank it should be ok because the thermostat will still shut it off appropriately. Am I right? Is it ok to use a bigger heater?

I've had to do that many times. Just watch it the first couple hours to be sure it's working right and then get your other heater when you can.

Getting a new heater is wise. You can have the preset as a back up. I'm currently using my back heater. Poor fish stuck in the 70's. I like having the water 80-82.

Wroberson said:
Getting a new heater is wise. You can have the preset as a back up. I'm currently using my back heater. Poor fish stuck in the 70's. I like having the water 80-82.

Yep you sound like me lol

greetings.

i use a heater designed for ~100g on my 55g, it's not a big problem. a smaller heater will just have to run more to heat the water up than a larger one(note - there is no electricity saved), although it's ofc important to make sure it is able to keep a steady temperature as desired - like with any heater.

Back
Top Bottom