Ok transfer of tank has begun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmmmmm.......2 questions.
Why did you get a 400w and did you only get 1?

That Bluewave ballast is, I believe, a magnetic M59 ballast. According to Sanjay's site, that bulb and ballast combo puts out a whopping 68 PPFD. FWIW, the 175w Iwasaki bulbs I use put out 71 PPFD with a magnetic ballast. In other words, that ballast and bulb combo sucks. It uses over 2x the electricity and puts out less usable light than what I use. Not to mention the heat. You may have heat issues.

Sanjay uses 400w bulbs over his 500g reef. I beleive he uses Giesemann 400w Marine bulbs. They put out 209 PPFD.

Last edited:
Hmmmmmm.......2 questions.
Why did you get a 400w and did you only get 1?

That Bluewave ballast is, I believe, a magnetic M59 ballast. According to Sanjay's site, that bulb and ballast combo puts out a whopping 68 PPFD. FWIW, the 175w Iwasaki bulbs I use put out 71 PPFD with a magnetic ballast. In other words, that ballast and bulb combo sucks. It uses over 2x the electricity and puts out less usable light than what I use. Not to mention the heat. You may have heat issues.

Sanjay uses 400w bulbs over his 500g reef. I beleive he uses Giesemann 400w Marine bulbs. They put out 209 PPFD.

Well to put it simply.....That is all the money I had for that trip....Plus I needed to have 1 so I could start the canopy build. I do not even have the bulbs yet. As far as the 400w. I was gonna use just 2 MH lamps on my tank. ????BIG MISTAKE???? I still have the receipts. and will be up there for the frag swap.

Talk to Sanjay at the swap. He's a really nice guy. I bet he will tell you to use 2 250w bulbs with Lumenarc reflectors. He told me 2 175's with Lumenarc's would have worked on my 125, but I already had 3. You have pretty much the same reflector I use. They work good, but 2 will not cover your entire tank. Depending on where you place them, there will be dark spots. Lumenarc's cover a bigger area and from what Sanjay told me, 2 would work on a 6' tank.
I would exchange the 400 for a 250. You don't need the 400 and it will save on your electric bill with 250's.

Ok the wait is killing me ....I am waiting for USPS to deliver my 6 new frags....grrrr....I am anxious.... will post pics as soon as they arrive today...tracking number said they were in my post office so it should be any time now!!!!

ok they are here. bags are kind of cold. gonna float them...take pics and acclaimate them.....hope they are alright

here we are...I believe I have pink, golden sun, Green rim pink center, green rim green center, solid green zoanthids and then Neon Green Centered Star Polyp.

Attachments

• Fish Tank 209.jpg
    Fish Tank 209.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Fish Tank 210.jpg
    Fish Tank 210.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Fish Tank 211.jpg
    Fish Tank 211.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Fish Tank 215.jpg
    Fish Tank 215.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 76
help....is this ok???

I dripped them for 2 hours after floating for 2 hours( they came in rather cold from USPS) then placed in tank.....they seem to look a little bleached after going into the tank...is this ok or something I should be concerned about????

Attachments

• Fish Tank 223.jpg
    Fish Tank 223.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 71
  • Fish Tank 217.jpg
    Fish Tank 217.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Fish Tank 219.jpg
    Fish Tank 219.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Fish Tank 218.jpg
    Fish Tank 218.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 207
Give them time. Can take a few days for them to all open up.

ps..you do know I have frags of these
zoas_11-23-08.jpg
http://www.centercup.net/images/125build/zoas_11-23-08.jpg

Back
Top Bottom