Ok, whats up with drilling tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biotoxin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im failing to see the advantages of having a drilled tank and its annoying to have to sift through posts of people that have drilled their tank because to me i just dont see what it does for an aquarium. Maybe its because i mostly do nanos but who can say. So can someone please explain why a drilled tank is so much better than a non drilled tank?

well better or not better I think is going to be somewhat subjective, but what I think the main advantage of a drilled tank is that there is no need then for an overflow box which is one less thing to maintain.

I agree, It's just a cleaner setup. I don't have to have equipment hanging off the back of my tank, therefore it can be closer to the wall and the load bearing members from a structural standpoint.

i think you'll get more opinion there as well... but my opinion would be they are "slightly" safer. There is no siphon being used so you don't have to worry about the siphon breaking and you overflowing the tank. But they can both get clogged and cause an overflow. So, there's my opinion :)

If you use the proper over flow kit, like the one from all glass in your all glass aquarium, I don't believe it would be possible to overflow unless it is not properly seated and sealed, or you don't allow enough room in your sump. The overflow basically only collects as much water as is returned by the pump, although an overflow will continue to suck until the vacuum is broken. I think it would be safer, and is why I went for it.

I'm having my tank drilled for 1 reason... a syphon takes up a TON of space. I only have a 16 gallon tank so I thought I could get away with a syphon made from 1/2" tubing. It would still take up a lot of space but at least it would be relatively small. But then I did some experimenting... a syphon signifigantly decreases the flow rate of the tube. I was barely able to get 60 gallons per hour out of it, and that was only when the top of the syphon was 6 inches under water. I need 160! Also, the syphon adds complexity. An overflow is simple. The water just falls down. If the syphon fails your sump is going to flood your house. The only way I can see a drilled tank failing is if a fishy somehow jumps in there and plugs up the tube... but I'm making mine out of 1.5" tubing so it'd just end up in my fuge. Of course... I'm a newbie so pay me no mind.

Back
Top Bottom