Ok, who's responsible for this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Sometime during the night, someone excavated a 2"x3" pit in my substrate. The debris mound (piled up next to the pit) is about 4" high. I gathered everyone up, put on the hot lights and received absolutely no confessions. I have attached pics of the dig.

Attachments

• excavation462007_002_298.jpg
    excavation462007_002_298.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 23
  • excavation462007_001_587.jpg
    excavation462007_001_587.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 26
lol......that cory is lookin pretty guilty to me. :)

What other fauna you have in there JC?

Glitch said:
that cory is lookin pretty guilty to me.

LOL...he was a bit too slow in leaving the scene. :ROFLMAO:

I currently have four swords, a nice grouping of ludwigia brevipes, rotala rotundifolia, some amulia, sunset hygro, a fairly large size ambulia and as witnessed in the pic, some pretty massive java ferns and several nymphaea rubra's.

*Edit* - I need to go back to school. :wink: 2 large bala sharks (my suspects), 4 GBR's, 4 Bolivian rams, several tetras (buenos aires, bleeding hearts, serpae and lampeyes), 8 of those cories, 5 BN, 2 Angels and the 9" Sailfin Pleco.

I think our fish may be conspiring together because I also woke up this morning to a mound of substrate. Mine isn't as noticeable as yours though, and there wasn't a pit.....but I think we've got a conspiracy on our hands. ;) I know who made my mound though....Yoyo loaches. Those little buggers have dug a trench in the Eco under a small piece of driftwood. Its their "command center". :D

Maybe you can catch the culprits in the act sometime...I'll try to get a picture of my mound and post it.

Whoever the culprit is I'm betting he didn't get a digsafe permit. :p

My money is on the Pleco.. ( I think we mutually have it in for each other).. Mine does that when he's trying to swim up the glass, his tail will blow gravel everywhere (I would love to see the speed they can get to in the wild.)

It's jetwash..

Glitch said:
Whoever the culprit is I'm betting he didn't get a digsafe permit.

I run the buildings department here, no such permit was issued nor applied for. :)

Wizzard~of~Ozz said:
(I would love to see the speed they can get to in the wild.)

THE WILD!!!!!??? Wait, Connecticut is not too far from me. LOL.

I received another possible explanation. It's possible that one of the bristlenoses (female) dug out the pit to attract a male there for ermmm...a bit of privacy?

My GBR's used to dig huge holes like that right before the spawned. :) Anyways, it is pretty rude of them to do it without permission, but fish can be onery like that. Hehe.

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
My money is on the Pleco.. ( I think we mutually have it in for each other).. Mine does that when he's trying to swim up the glass, his tail will blow gravel everywhere (I would love to see the speed they can get to in the wild.)

It's jetwash..

Well, I set up the hidden camera (my wife) and the culprit was identified. It was in fact...Cliff, the 9" Sailfin pleco. She watched do exactly what you described and I was able to see him do it live. What an amazing sight, substrate and detrius (not to mention plants) flying everywhere. :shock:

Thanks Wizz...mystery sol-ved.

Nice detective work.

They are truly powerful fish.. I watched mine try and move a piece of driftwood with his nose (about 15lbs). the driftwood held it's ground, but the substrate was piled up a good 8" at the back of the tank.. It left a crater about 8" across and almost to the glass bottom. (My substrate is 3-4" thick)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom